Selec-Trac In Mj - Lamp Wiring

Wondering if Selec-trac was ever offered as an MJ build option? I think not,

because it appears the wire is missing to power the full time lamp. It would

would be pin 11 on the white cluster connector (ref schematic page 54), and

there's no wire on my connector. Circuit number is 106. Yes, I know I don't

"need" the lamp, but would like it to work all the same. Looks like it runs to

bulkhead connector position B5. Very surprised they would build harness

without this wire. Has anyone tackled this before?

It was simple to do. However, it was a while back (3 years or so) that I did this. It only required one wire to be run from

a to B and volaaa the little green light came on. Now trying to remember where A and B are is the problem. I'll try a little searching on other site's and see if I can come up with the answer.

Good stuff - thanks! Not quite the same as my situation as I have AX15 rather than AW4, and

the plug for my T-case switch is hard wired into the harness all the way, apparently, to the

bulkhead. I had to splice in an extension as the switch is farther aft on the 242 than it was

on the 231. Where I'm missing the wire is from the instrument cluster to, apparently, the

inside of the bulkhead connector. I'm off to the JY in the morning for some exploratory surgery,

and hopefully the wire(s) I need. The factory schematic circuit table has now clued me that

the wire I'm missing is labelled "XJ only. From that I surmise that 242 was never offered on

the MJ. Anyone know differently?

Is there a "full-time"slot in your gauge cluster. There is not one in mine. Part time only. Not even a socket for the bulb. There IS a socket and a light panel in my XJ for a FT lamp, although there is only a bulb in the PT spot cuz I have 231. I'm wondering when the Select Trac came along...anyone?

Yes, my cluster has both the part time and the full time light positions.

Quoting the online search result: "The NP242 Selec-Trac transfer case debuted with the compact Jeep Cherokee in 1984."

My guess is that NP242 was never an option for MJ but I can't imagine why not.

So closing this one out, I spent satyurday morning at the JY checking multiple

vehicles. Turns out all 3 XJs's I checked had the cluster pin 11 wired for full time

light, and also the 88 MJ had same. I ended up grabbing that wire for the terminal)

and ran it independent of the bulkhead connector to the 4 pin connector over by

the cannister where the T-case switch wires, along with the speed sensor wires,

come into the engine compartment. a simple splice and I've got my full t ime light

working. I still wonder whether 242 was ever offered for MJ, but at least I now

know that the early ones were wired for the full time light.

AFAIK, Selec-Trac was never offered on the MJ, but some people have swapped in a 242 transfer case themselves.

I still need to get the correct switch for my daughter's XJ as it's 242 came out of a ZJ and has a different switch with a 4 pin connector.