88' Manche Build.

First manche build, plan to keep this jeep for a bit..

i've had 3 XJ's, and i was really excited to build this jeep.

I had bought it from a 4 wheel parts tech down here in Raleigh NC,

he had done some good work too it but he just didn't have the time for it.

I really don't like buying someone elses lifted/built vehicles but i couldn't pass this up

knowing that a 4WP tech had done some work to this, and being good friend with all the guys who

worked up there, he had given me a good deal on it.

Now the whole "project" aspect of this comanche is that he was in the middle of converting it to a 93'' swap.He had already swapped the motor, trans, and TC in to the jeep.. but absolutely nothing was bolted down and ready to go. I have been working on the interior and trying to get the dash and the wiring harness back together for a few weeks now.

As she sits, i picked up her with these mods...

-4.5'' Pro-cimp springs w/ SOA in the rear with 1'' pro-comp block

-JKS quick Disco

-A jeep JK bumper, custom built to fit the MJ

-Custom rear bumper

-36'' IRocks

-Bilsten Shocks

-MX-6 Shocka

-Rugged Ridge tuff Steer

-D30 and 8.25 w/ 4.56's

-Smittybilt H2O 8K winch

-Pro-comp Trac-bar

It's got alot more upgrades, just need to get them all typed down.

My future plans...

-6.5'' RE Long arm

-Ford 8.8 swap in the rear

-97+ front end swap

-Possibly a Dana 44 front axle (locked, high steer, etc)

-New paint

-Removeable door kit

-Rock sliders, OE steering skid, gas tank & trans/tc skid

-Cb radio

-Clean up interior

-Half door kit

-Sound system (Sub, radio, 4 fuctional speakers)

-HID kit

-Possibly a roof basket w/ spare tire or custom spare tire carrier

I've got alot of ideas to think about, i am leaving for the Army on Novemer 20th, 2012 and hoping to save some money to continue this build. So i have alot of time to think about what i want to do to it, and what will work out best.

What she looked like before i picked her up..

2rxfbf8.jpg

On the way home...

mx2gk9.jpg

She's home at the farm, i've got everything unloaded... looking around at the new toy!

14kh4hx.jpg

What the dashboard looks like before i got to work...

33krvjk.jpg

Sense the original inteior was grey, and the new 93' XJ dash was tan... i went to LKQ and got lucky to find some MJ interior pieces that almost match the new dash.

2w2ov3d.jpg

2md0zdl.jpg

(Kinda a bad pic because it was taken at night with a Iphone)

This is what she looks like with the original doors/fenders on her..

soon to be changed to a 97+ look...

2132g7a.jpg

Well, been busy the past few days hunting & helping a few buddies work on their rigs/4 wheelers,

finally got some time to mess around with the old manche.

Decided that the floor boards needed to be attended too, and that it would be a pretty simple "fixer upper"

and i also wanted to convert the fuel pump to the 93 xj pump so that it will work with the wire harness.

Got a few pics of the interior, pre-sanded, sanded & primered, and the the final coat of bed liner.

I use a sanding wheel to get all the surface rust away, vacuumed it all out, sanded again to try to get the deep rust away and a nice smooth surface to paint. after i got that stuff all done, i went ahead a primed it up and laid down two coats of 3M Rubberized Undercoating (Stuff works great, used it on my XJ)

Secondly, i was able to get the manche on the lift in my buddies barn to attend to the Fuel pump swap and to start disconnecting old brake lines.

Going to go ahead and try to find some brake lines that are in better condition and try to install the new trac-bar.

11ile6g.jpg

16863xi.jpg

909f20.jpg

2431654.jpg

24vqp2r.jpg

30c9myx.jpg

2w1vz9f.jpg

I have gotten most of the wiring in place, and plugged up.

After bolting in the 93-95 XJ Fusebox into the comanche i realized that the main harness was WAY too big to be plugged up in the engine bay due to the fender well...

Nothing i could really think of besides cutting a small box in the fender well to atleast get the main harness plugged into the back of the fuse box. So, i started cutting! Eventually i felt satisfied with the cut and the harness fit right in! It's all plugged up!

35kv1iv.jpg

34pxu8y.jpg

I moved on to bolting the dash board completely in place, after visiting LKQ and getting myself the correct bolts, screws, nuts, etc to get this dash into place. with a little help from my buddies, a few curse words later, it was in place!

2rzdqwn.jpg

I moved on to the fender/header panel removal..

Got those off, and now she's waiting on her new front end conversion!

Also did a little "Test fit" with the 97+ header panel so see maybe what she'll look like with the sweet Jeep JK bumper.

I just need to get a few things sold, to help with the cash funds, and hopefully she'll have her new panel/fenders & doors on!

1zqbl2q.jpg

20urigx.jpg

• 9 months later...

Well, its been a while since i've been on here to update my page..

I've been really busy, finally finished up all my training with the Army, got extremely

lucky and was stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC.. about 45 minutes from the house.

So i can still work on the MJ.

Well, when i came home on my holiday block leave i was able to scoop up some

fenders, and doors for my 97' conversion. 

i was able to install them for a test fit while i was home, didn't get the doors on yet. 

Still want to do a little more work with those.

29m57qc.jpg

Here are a few more of the MJ,

I've got the MJ & my new Pop-Up camper 

23hnolk.jpg

Here she is paired up with my buddies 88 2 door XJ

2rpqoh1.jpg

When i got back from training, and settled in down at bragg

i was able to take some money from the savings & treat myself

with a new truck.

2000 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins Turbo Diesel 4x4 5 speed

105k on the clock, here is the big girl with the little MJ

2vrshw5.jpg

Here is another one of the truck, with the jetski hooked up from this past weekend.

2z8otnb.jpg

As of right now, the MJ has been killing me..

Having alot of trouble with the XJ to MJ harness, nothing seems to be working 

or going right with the truck. She's still got a little ways to go before i can get her on

the trail, or atleast up and running. I have a friend from 4WP coming to give me a hand in the near future

to see if she can get going..

As of this weekend, it's my 21st birthday...

it's time to celebrate on Carolina beach! 

• 4 months later...

Haven't been on in a while, caught up with ARMY nonsense, working on this jeep, other peoples vehicles, etc. Comanche is alive, and running. Greg from the Raleigh 4WP helped me out with the wiring harness and got the motor to turn over with the turn of a key. Once we had her turning over on her own, i had to settle a few things out with the jeep. Replaced radiator, water pump and thermostat. Installed a switch to control the E-fan Bolted up steering completely, and trac-bar Welded up new shock tabs for the rear axle for my bilsteins! Had to drill hole in fire wall to run the shift linkage from the trans to the shifter, also drilled out the 4 wheel drive shifter bracket to slap that in there. Bolted down seats and the top part of the dash completely. Had to run new fuel lines off the stock hard lines and new fuel pump regulator. Tighten down serp-belt and all the pulleys. Nothing to crazy, i had most of the stuff put together before i even had the wire harness done.

At 4wp Wire job prep

or87lt.jpg

Currie Steering and Trac bar

2iag2ll.jpg

Shock set up

2ith7us.jpg

Shifter w/Linkages

16ap3x3.jpg

Both Shifters in

27zkos3.jpg

Ran the shifter linkage in the fire wall

zntpfo.jpg

New Radiator

2cosl7o.jpg

Headlights, and she's alive!

4kuput.jpg

After i got most of the stuff out of the way where i could drive her around, we decided to take a little club trip to URE. Come to find out that the TC was SHOT. Chain slipped up in 4WD. So i had to take her slow and easy running around in 2WD. Wasn't to bad of a trip. She did most in 2 wheel with ease. I had 34 Super Swampers on her, removed those nasty 36s.. Last day on the mountain the alternator went out, drained the battery completely.. but just that trip showed me what i needed to fix and work on. here's some photos from the trip. Bought myself a NP231 Rebuild kit, going to attempt to take this case apart and see if i can't teach myself a thing or two.. Also have bumper brackets on order for the front bumper. and lining up a paint job for Christmas from the family. 

My morgan the manchenstien

2rylnhx.jpg

Could be a little stuck...

xkwr2e.jpg

Prettiest Tailgate around..

2mgqeye.jpg

Angry Eyes...

suygzp.jpg

Camp Site looking pretty

jpfmex.jpg

The Cummins and the Manche!

2lkxi5c.jpg

Haven't been on in a while, caught up with ARMY nonsense, working on this jeep, other peoples vehicles, etc. Comanche is alive, and running. Greg from the Raleigh 4WP helped me out with the wiring harness and got the motor to turn over with the turn of a key. Once we had her turning over on her own, i had to settle a few things out with the jeep. Replaced radiator, water pump and thermostat. Installed a switch to control the E-fan Bolted up steering completely, and trac-bar Welded up new shock tabs for the rear axle for my bilsteins! Had to drill hole in fire wall to run the shift linkage from the trans to the shifter, also drilled out the 4 wheel drive shifter bracket to slap that in there. Bolted down seats and the top part of the dash completely. Had to run new fuel lines off the stock hard lines and new fuel pump regulator. Tighten down serp-belt and all the pulleys. Nothing to crazy, i had most of the stuff put together before i even had the wire harness done.

After i got most of the stuff out of the way where i could drive her around, we decided to take a little club trip to URE. Come to find out that the TC was SHOT. Chain slipped up in 4WD. So i had to take her slow and easy running around in 2WD. Wasn't to bad of a trip. She did most in 2 wheel with ease. I had 34 Super Swampers on her, removed those nasty 36s.. Last day on the mountain the alternator went out, drained the battery completely.. but just that trip showed me what i needed to fix and work on. here's some photos from the trip. Bought myself a NP231 Rebuild kit, going to attempt to take this case apart and see if i can't teach myself a thing or two.. Also have bumper brackets on order for the front bumper. and lining up a paint job for Christmas from the family. 

Nice Manche :)  Looking forward for the future Wheeling Pictures.

• 5 months later...

Well I've been lazy and she hasn't been painted yet!

I know, i've been slacking.. but now that the weather is warming up and season is back in action..

the comanche has gotten lots of love.

She's had two Uwharrie trips since the season has started, and I've found a few issues here and there.

I've saved up a few bucks to get them fixed up.

She's got her full 97' exterior swap done. Front Clip to the doors.

the 8.25 is now locked with a lock rite locker.

I've installed a mechcanical Temp gauge, and removed the thermostat.

She runs really cool in this NC spring/summer heat. Which is a relief to me.

I've also started a set of half doors with my buddy, he's made a set so he's using some of his

experenice to help me out a hair.

SHE NEEDS ARMOR. Lordy, i have beaten here up those past two trips.

I got a little throttle happy, and had some fun with this new locked rear end (dying for a front locker now!)

She's got a nice dent in the cab. and some thrash on the underbody.

I PROMISE. I'm looking into paint this week (June 4th 2014)

I took some leave and some time to hang out with the old jeepy.

I just can't figure out what color i wanna do.

Most of the upgrades are pretty simple and basic for us jeepers out there.

But I figured i'd go ahead and update this a little bit.

Here's some photos for y'all!

34qshar.jpg

301d649.jpg

20hv62c.jpg

23viyas.jpg

1624jtf.jpg

ogmkvo.jpg

dm5rfb.jpg

11rr7yx.jpg

2lwq8f9.jpg

15nnlef.jpg

5u35ly.jpg

Installing new shock tabs on the axle, I was grinding off the old stock shock mounts..

and got myself. Had to have surgery and some stiches.. We're all good now.

295acsp.jpg

2aj5h0y.jpg

15hmpvp.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, now that paint has been finished up...

I really haven't done much to the manche..

Cut the front fenders, and going to be cutting the back.

fnqo7o.jpg

She's gotten wheeled alot harder then she ever has after

finishing up all these small in's and out's.

She took a beating this past weekend, i never really wanted to beat up the truck

to begin with cause of how rare the shortbeds are... and especially since you can't do any sort of cab

swap.

but.....

I did, got a little happy with the skinny pedal. Maybe a little cocky, since the ole manche had to show up

the big bad brand new Wranglers haha.

Here are some great shots a few of my club members took of the jeep over the

past few weekends of wheeling

2n6u7tv.jpg

jshdlh.jpg

2608uab.jpg

2z9k5yf.jpg

346oux0.jpg

ok91l3.jpg

2s7hvr4.jpg

2v2h8io.jpg

1ewffa.jpg

We had a few issues on the trail the past few times we went out.

First, Wheeling in the creek doing some hill climbs the cross member dropped out

on the driver side. I ended up having to baby it off the trail, and held the cross member up with

2 ratchet straps.

vr387a.jpg

Lucky, i think the bolts had rattled loose

and backed out. I was able to use my spare transfer case drop off my old XJ

to put it back up.

34q5iz6.jpg

I also welded my exhaust back on, I am assuming when the cross member dropped

it took the exhaust with it.

Also had to remove the rear bumper, it got pretty beat up on the this trip

when doing some crossings/hill climbs. She had to be recovered out of some nasty mud.

I plan on building a bumper for it, or possibly dove tailing the rear.

281r2pg.jpg

On her second trip out, the Idler pulley was some how able to back its self off too!

The pulley went bad, and the clutch fan came loose causing the pulley to wiggle/Move side to side.

I caught it just in time and did a quick trail repair (No photos of that!)

Speaking of the club that took those awesome photos,

If anyone is in NC, looking for a full time, up beat, wheeling club.

WICKED JEEPS is the club to join.

We have a full NC chapter, along with several other states (SC, MD, PA, a few more!)

And especially if you're in the Ft. Bragg area, We'd love to have some new members!

Anything jeep! 2wd, 4wd, race jeep, etc! We're open to any jeeper out there!

We've got quite a few JK's and JKU's out there, these guys ain't afraid to get down on the trails!

Give us a follow, or us add on Facebook!

here's a few shots of our last meet at Buffalo Wild Wings..

AKA "Wicked Wings Meet"

2wdsrhy.jpg

167v803.jpg

verlp1.jpg

We had over 90 people come out and support,

and a whole lotta jeeps!

Here's just a few i took at the beginning of the meet!

Just walking through the parking lot!

289z8ra.jpg

34dnask.jpg

zyc6r.jpg

Also, visit us at...

http://www.wickedjeeps.com/

If you're interested in the club!