Flat towing?

Just curious if anyone here has ever flat towed their Comanche. If so, what advice could you give? How did you attatch the mounts for the tow bar? Would I need to fabricate a custom tow bar? What about stop/turn lights? Looks like flat towing would be a more feasible option that trailer towing for me. Any info/pictures would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Matt

I've removed the bumper, and bolted a tow bar to it using plates that utilize ALL 6 of the bumper bracket bolts. If you just use the front 4, you can easily bend/crack the tabs. As for lights, I bought myself a set of trailer lights, bolted them to a set of magnets and/or clamps. Then I wired it up, wrapped the wires in electrical tape to make it be one cord up to the plug, and it's worked for me so far.

Just make sure you either remove the rear driveshaft and cap the end of the trans/t-case, or leave the shaft in the trans, and securely tie it up under the bed.

Had this discussion on another thread. If you are flat towing and you have 4X4 NP231, you can flat tow it with the transfer case in neutral.

My father -in-law used to do this all the time with his comanche. Towed it behind his camper back in the 90's.

He had a tow bar and wired it up so the tail lights worked with the camper. I actually had the tow bar on the truck when I got it, but I tossed it.

It attached under the bumper to the bumper mounts.