Removing control arm mounts for long arm install

I'll be tackling my long arm install in about two weeks and I just wanted to be prepared ahead of time. I just wanted to see if there were any tips, tricks or suggestions on the best method of removing my factory mounts.

Its not that difficult. Depending on the cutting device you use (Plasma, Oxy/Act, or Grinder) will determine how fast it can be done. I used my plasma to get the bulk of the brackets off, and then followed that with an angle grinder with a cutting disc, and then a grinding disc.

A few pics I took:

aar.jpg

aav.jpg

aaw.jpg

Rest of the pics are here: http://hot4x4.ca/gallery2/v/RyanEgger/albun80/

The MJ has a lot of steel for reinforcement compared to the XJ. So not only is it welded on the ends, but there are also spot welds.

The plasma got the bulk of the brackets, and then the grinding disc cut along the weld lines and around the spot welds. I then cold chiseled the brackets off and followed that with the grinder to smooth it out. There was also a few tight spots, so we turned the plasma down and just cut through the bracket, and not into the frame. worked pretty good.

Just take your time and you'll have no problems. Just don't get too carried away and cut into your frame. I did that on the bottom section and had to weld it back up.

HTH

Ryan