Strange Chugging Noise

So ive had this problem for a while but recently it has gotten worse, ive got a Strange Chugging Noise from behind the gauge cluster. I have always assumed it was the speedo-cable since i have the wandering speedo needle and everyone seems to have some type of problem with them but can't recall if anyone has mentioned this specific problem before.

So basically when i am accelerating and hit about 30mph I start getting a chugging noise from somewhere in front of me presumably behind the cluster and it speeds up as the mph increases once I get to about 50mph it is gone.

Then when I decelerate I get the noise even louder until I am below 20mph at which point it seems to stop. The noise progresses as the speed drops and sounds worse than a chugging and more like a senior citizen with pneumonia.

Am I right to think it's the speedo cable, has anyone had this same issue?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

comanche.gif

Mine was a kind of bdbdbdbdbdbbd sound. Half way between chug and click. Mine disappeared at 45 mph. My speedo cable was pulled too tight when I pulled the cluster. It wasn't engaging in the back of the cluster. I got under the Jeep and gave the cable some slack, re-installed it in the TC and pushed it further into the back of the cluster...until it "clicked". That did it. :wrench:

sure sounds like some of the speedo cables I've had.

If you catch it early enough, you can clean and relube it with vaseline.

It should pull out of the casing so you can clean the old varnish off and greeze it up.

While you have the cluster out, cast your eye on the speedo workings to make sure nothing is dry or gritty or rubbing.