Electric Fan Stays on.....

When I bought my MJ the PO has the electric fan wired to where it stays on with the turn of the switch. I have 3 questions: 1. How do you wire it correctly (like it was from the factory)? 2. If I wire it to where I can switch it on and off does that affect anything? 3. What is the best way to do this? Keep in mind that this is my DD, so it won't be seeing any major offroading. Maybe some mild trails.... Any advice is appreciated.

Check out the discussion we just had. Search Elecitric Fan switch mod. I just did this. They explained how to do it a couple different ways. I used a second relay and switch but you can use the existing relay. Sounds like they ran a jumper from your fan relay to an ignition source. If you find it and disconnect it you will have it back to stock hopefully. Read the above mentioned for wiring the switch.

Check out the discussion we just had. Search Elecitric Fan switch mod. I just did this. They explained how to do it a couple different ways. I used a second relay and switch but you can use the existing relay. Sounds like they ran a jumper from your fan relay to an ignition source. If you find it and disconnect it you will have it back to stock hopefully. Read the above mentioned for wiring the switch.

:cheers: Thanks alot.... Didn't mean to ask something that has recently be discussed. I should have looked back a couple of pages I guess. Must be laziness...... Thanks again

:dunno: :dunno: None of this electrical stuff makes sense to me. In Lamens term, what do I need to do to wire like it is supposed to be? :dunno:

What does everything connect to? i've even read about it connecting to the radiator?? :dunno:

:dunno: :dunno: None of this electrical stuff makes sense to me. In Lamens term, what do I need to do to wire like it is supposed to be? :dunno:

What does everything connect to? i've even read about it connecting to the radiator?? :dunno:

I explain the wire scheme on this post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34714

a way to test to see how/what your po did is to pull the relay that is on the driver side. use a multi meter to see if you have voltage across 85/86 with ignition on. if this is the case disconnect the plug that goes to the switch in the radiator. driverside. and measure again... if you still have 12 volts they altered the wiring. if there is no longer voltage then the temp switch is bad. here's a pic of the relay i found on the net for the relay pin layout and numbers... disregard the red wire in the diagram it's for something else. pic is for reference sscully-albums-misc-picture28323-bosch-auto-relay.jpg

if you want i can take pictures of each connection and post it. if that will help.

I explain the wire scheme on this post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34714

a way to test to see how/what your po did is to pull the relay that is on the driver side. use a multi meter to see if you have voltage across 85/86 with ignition on. if this is the case disconnect the plug that goes to the switch in the radiator. driverside. and measure again... if you still have 12 volts they altered the wiring. if there is no longer voltage then the temp switch is bad. here's a pic of the relay i found on the net for the relay pin layout and numbers... disregard the red wire in the diagram it's for something else. pic is for reference sscully-albums-misc-picture28323-bosch-auto-relay.jpg

if you want i can take pictures of each connection and post it. if that will help.

:banana: Honestly that would help out a great deal. :cheers: I do not want to be any trouble to any one. If you are willing to do that and do not mind, then I will reall appreciate it. :cheers:

Okay this first picture is of the fuseable link mine has two wires coming out of the link. One goes to ??? the other goes across the front of the truck through the grill and to the fan relay on the drivers fender and connects at position 30 (refer to previous relay layout). This is the 12v supply power to run the fan

430998_3130829464320_1072232659_2834249_1155348450_n.jpg

Connection 87 runs to the fan connector. 431432_3130829864330_1072232659_2834250_519412823_n.jpg

the other wire from the fan then runs to a ground stud. (I didn't take pic of this as Mine is not accessible)

Now for the control of the relay. The yellow wire IIRC connects to the ignition key. The plug goes to the thermo-switch in the radiator. the gray then feed into that orange block (located in wire loom directly behind driver headlight). One of the orange wires goes to your Air cond circuit and turns the fan on when AC is running. I did not have AC so I ran this one to a switch in the cab for an override. The other Orange wire goes to the relay and connects at 86. and then 85 connects to ground.

420059_3130830984358_1072232659_2834252_5414910_n.jpg

Thermo is second brass in photo has wires coming out.

418205_3130830424344_1072232659_2834251_145102943_n.jpg

that about sums it up. FYI this is how the 89 is... I've read other years used negative as a controller rather than positive.

Hope the pics help.