Buying my first MJ!!!

Hey guys, I am very new to MJ's but not Jeeps, I have had one XJ, 2 ZJ's and on my second WJ now.

I am going to go look at a 1986 Comanche on Friday, it is 4wd, it has th 2.8L (unfortunately) but the person said it is not running due to an electrical issue. Now I know there is a common issue of the master cyliders leaking onto the fuse box, he said he had the engine rebuilt by his mechanic and the clutch replaced then his daughter drove it until one day smoke started coming up from the fuse box. He is selling it VERY cheap so I wanted to know if there is anything else I should look for and also if the 2.8 can be swapped out with the 4.0L without changing transmissions? Thanks in advance.

You can't swap a 4.0 into a 2.8 without changing trannies. There also may be firewall clearance issues, but from what Ive read, it is a minor issue, and can be dealt with with a BFH. Your best bet if you were to swap a 4.0 would be to get a coomplete running donor, and swap EVERYTHING over. Engine, radiator and core support, trans, crossmembers, engine wiring, dash wiring....everything! If you have the time and knowledge to do it yourself, its really not that bad of a job. Good luck.

Wow, I didnt know it was that big of an issue, like I said I am used to ZJs and WJs so didn't think it would be an issue. Thats ok, for now I was looking for a DD so I can park my WJ and then in the future maybe dump some money into. Do you know if there is anything else to look for on the 2.8? Any other common issues?

Others may chine in, but the 2.8 sometimes has oiling issues that cause the bearings to go out unexpectedly. This problem was fixed on later engines and the 3.1 and 3.4 versions of this motor. The 3.1/3.4 is a popular swap after the 2.8 dies. Much better power, and much better longevity. All the 2.8 stuff like the manifold, exhaust and accessories will bolt right to the 3.1/3.4 block, and after you get the flywheel nuetrally balanced it is a bolt in and run situation. May be a better option for you in the future.