Converting Distributor to Coil Packs

I've been toying around with the idea, just to see if it can be done. I've got an extra coil pack from a '90 Eagle Talon 2.0 Turbo, in good condition. I haven't done much checking on any of the service manuals for either the Comanche or the Talon in terms of wiring, voltage output, and all that sort. Just curious to see if anyone has converted a 2.5 to a DIS.

I'm not sure it could be done without tons of work, you distributor is what sets the timing and on a dis system the pcm controls the spark, i am not sure if you could even put a camshaft sensor in the engine for the pcm to know the timing, it would require a pcm that was designed for dis.

There was a guy on a forum that I was avid at, DSM1Eights.org, who changed the 4G37 engine from a distributor setup, to a coil pack set up using the Ford EDIS system, running spark timing off of the crank wheel. Turned out to work darn well, surprisingly.

I think I could possibly go that route, but maybe using the stock location of the distributor and weld on a ring gear to that, or something like it, and use that for the spark timing. Can't remember exactly how he had set his up, been quite a while since I've visited his build thread.

More of just a curiosity.

If that doesn't seem to be the case going that route, what would be a good coil upgrade? MSD/Accel/Other?