Need info for a 4x4 conversion with column mounted shifter.

Ok guys, first of all I'm new here on the forums. I've checked the site out before since I am a huge MJ fan but I've never owned one untill this past saturday. comanche.gif

I picked up a 89 Short Bed MJ with the 4.0 and AW4 transmission. However it is a 2wd truck. I plan on making this into a mildly built daily driver and wheeling truck. So it must be converted to 4x4. :brows:

I have owned three cherokee's, a 88, 92 and currently a two door 99. So I have a good amount of knowledge about the XJ platform.

I know I need a Dana 30 and front driveshaft, that is the easy part. From what I understand to make this swap as easy as possible I need a AW4 from a 87-90 XJ? Will up to 95 work? I mainly don't want to mess with swapping computers enless someone can help through it. :hmm:

Here is the big question I have; this truck has the steering column mounted transmission shifter. This is the first XJ/MJ that I have ever seen with this. Can this be kept with the 4x4 trans swap or will I have to switch to the regular floor mounted shifter? :???:

I will post a build thread in the project section of the forums.