Shift light

Quick question

I have a 90 w/ a stupid shift light. I don't pay much attention to it, but ... why does it come on when I am 5th gear? Do I have the rare 6spd manual transmission? :D

When it comes on, I let off the gas for a second and it goes away. What triggers this light to come on?

Thanks!

Anthony

90 4.0 2wd 5spd

the shift light is worked by voodoo....

Naw, it's really a light put on by the ECU. A lot of things factor into it. Engine Temp, Throttle Position, speed, Rpms. You don't even need to let off the gas, I get it when I drop into 5th all the time. I usually curse it, and then it goes away in 4-5 seconds. I disregard it mostly myself. If I shift at it's shift points I just feel like I'm lugging the motor.

87manche, no seriously, it was fine before I changed the fluid. something in the old fluid was keeping it going and the new fluid cleaned it too much or :?: All I know is my new rebuild .30 over really screams so I guess all that new HP to the ol goat with I assume 250k on it was the last straw for the goat to chew. I was messing with a new chevy v-8 (after the goat started, I might add)and it was almost neck to neck. :shock: I can say one thing, when I changed the goat to valvaline synt 75w-90 it really freed up some horse's.

I was just bustin balls. I've seen it happen to an auto. I had a Chrysler Sundance. Worked just fine till I got a bug up my @$$ about changing the tranny fluid. Changed it out, 1000 miles later the tranny slipped. Of course it was an auto. So I've resigned myself to standards if possible.