91 Comanche starting problems

Help

I have a 91 Comanche Eliminator that has been having various starting problems. Sometimes, cold it will crank and not start until you turn the key off then on for a bit, but starts fine warm. Other times it will start fine cold but require the key off and on ritual to start warm. Last night I went to the store, did the cold start routine, drove to the store and when I came out I turned the key and nothing. Had to push start it to get home. Checked the battery, got 12.9v. Disconnected the negative terminal for a bit and when I hooked it back up the truck started right up. All I can think of is the ECM. I was eying the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator but after last night, I am thinking the computer is going out.

Any ideas?

Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Incase anyone is interested, I replaced the computer and it fixed everything. Starts and runs like a new truck. BTW, if you ever have to do this, DO NOT go by what the AP store says you need. I found that the OEM number on my computer was what the store called out for an automatic trans not my AX15.

Incase anyone is interested, I replaced the computer and it fixed everything. Starts and runs like a new truck. BTW, if you ever have to do this, DO NOT go by what the AP store says you need. I found that the OEM number on my computer was what the store called out for an automatic trans not my AX15.

Sometimes the pins in the 64-pin ECU connector get corroded and/or recessed. Especially on the 91s. Before replacing the ECU, disconnect and inspect for recessed pins, and douche the connector's pins down with a good electrical contact cleaner. I do this about once a year and it seems to help each time.

BTW, how much did the new ECU set you back? :eek: