Lockers

IMHO, an automatic locker in a winter DD (in Michigan) is a bad idea. Dry road, no problem, but eventually you will spin out on an icy surface, its inevitable.

I disagree. Is driving a RWD locked axle different from a modern FWD? Yes, but that doesn't mean it's more dangerous. Does it take more skill to drive well? Absolutely. If you drive it like a FWD and just go hammering the gas all over the place you'll be in for a nasty surprise, but with actual training and practice (the part most people skip), it's not "death waiting to happen". You learn how it works, how it reacts in different situations, when to gas, when to coast, and what not to do.

I HATE open rear ends in the snow, once you learn how to drive it an LSD or locker of some sort is way more predictable and controllable. I've never had an unintentional skid or spinout, in all my winters. A locker is even more consistent than an LSD, since it's operation is pretty much black and white: if you're on the gas, it's locked.

In 2WD, the front locker disengages and acts like on open (I don't even think it'll ratchet if you've got the CAD working since the pass. side axle will be free to spin with the driver's side). In the rear it's pretty invisible too, but you'll squeak and squeal the tires when powering through tight turns. If I had to pick, I'd go with locking the rear (unless it's a D35 probably). You'll use it all the time that way. If I had a 242 transfer case or was worried about my winter driving skills, or really only want it for offroading use, I'd put it in the front.

a fulltime locker in the rear for a DD isnt a good idea in my mind. others beg to differ but why not just lock the front first? its not even there until your in 4wd.

i do however run a spartan in the front and its awsome. hasnt let me down yet.

So, when in 2wd, the front locker will not be engaged? How does it handle going down the road in the winter in 4wd witht hat front locker?

Yes, these lockers engage when there is power applied to the axle, so no power from the drive shaft it will not lock. You will some times hear it clicking as the gears are sliding over each other in a hard turn but that eventually wears off as the springs and other parts get broken in. As for the snow driving in 4wheel drive i have no clue so i can't answer that.

Personally i would only run a spartan or aussie type mechanical locker in the front. If i had to choose a locker for my rig, if i decided to get posi I would get a detroit for the rear and run a mechanical type spartan locker up front or if i was to get a selectable i would run an OX locker either front or rear. Thats just my personal preference though.