Nice XJ - $4000

tbrand

We're looking for an XJ for the wife, to replace her Civic that lost a timing belt. We've got about $4000 to spend for a pretty nice example. 97+, Auto, 4x4, power windows and locks would be good, but most of all we're looking for a mechanically solid Jeep. It will be strictly a DD, with the occasional mountain trips in the winter. Everyone around here seems to want a lot for their Jeeps, even with mystery mechanical issues. We're in Boise, but would be open to Jeeps near Portland and Seattle as well.

We're looking for an XJ for the wife, to replace her Civic that lost a timing belt. We've got about $4000 to spend for a pretty nice example. 97+, Auto, 4x4, power windows and locks would be good, but most of all we're looking for a mechanically solid Jeep. It will be strictly a DD, with the occasional mountain trips in the winter. Everyone around here seems to want a lot for their Jeeps, even with mystery mechanical issues. We're in Boise, but would be open to Jeeps near Portland and Seattle as well.

Keep in mind I got my girlfriend's 99' with 105K, 4x4, inline 6, one owner, for $3100 with all the records off CL (~1 year ago and they're not getting newer). But there are people asking way toooooo much. $4000 should get you something with under 120K, 4x4 if you want it, with NO issues, and a straight body. Just my 2c.

I had a friend in Houston show me just how cheap cars are down there - same condition/mileage as cars here, selling for 50-70% of what people ask in Boise. It's crazy.

Ahh, supply and demand... when I've got free time like today jamminz.gif I'll keep an eye out for ya in your area.

Edit: Wow, all I gotta say is F*** Ozzy's... seriously that was a hardcore spamfest on the Boise CL.

Hahaha. I have free time all day, as I'm between work contracts. She wants something smaller, like the Civic she's been driving since she was 16. I think at least one 4wd vehicle could be useful this winter - it actually snows a little here in Boise, as opposed to Phoenix. Too bad my MJ is and will be 2wd for a while.

If you see something really, really nice, we could probably stretch to $7k, but it would have to be near-perfect. I'm not opposed to flying out and driving it home, if it's within a long day's drive of Boise.

Hahaha. I have free time all day, as I'm between work contracts. She wants something smaller, like the Civic she's been driving since she was 16. I think at least one 4wd vehicle could be useful this winter - it actually snows a little here in Boise, as opposed to Phoenix. Too bad my MJ is and will be 2wd for a while.

If you see something really, really nice, we could probably stretch to $7k, but it would have to be near-perfect. I'm not opposed to flying out and driving it home, if it's within a long day's drive of Boise.

Decent: in Boise. Overpriced. 170K. Looks clean though. His OBO better be very negotiable, but maybe I'm just naive to Boise pricing... meh.

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/2492966118.html

But the real question... what's on the passenger side of that Jeep? :yes:

I know, right? I've looked at that one a few times on CL, but $5k for nearly 180k miles makes me choke a little. The scary thing is, he's not too far out of line with local pricing.

I actually called about this one, but the guy never put the title in his name, which is a big no-no with Idaho DMV, and the last thing we need is a perfectly good car that we can't legally register.

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/2535925052.html

I know, right? I've looked at that one a few times on CL, but $5k for nearly 180k miles makes me choke a little. The scary thing is, he's not too far out of line with local pricing.

I actually called about this one, but the guy never put the title in his name, which is a big no-no with Idaho DMV, and the last thing we need is a perfectly good car that we can't legally register.

http://boise.craigslist.org/cto/2535925052.html

Already saw it. Skipped it, because it "appeared" to be a 4Cyl, unless you heard otherwise (which I may/may not believe according to what you said about owner), or don't mind that it's a 4cyl, and the damaged front fibreglass clip.

You can probably deal with the title, but it's always annoying to have added hassle, especially if the prior mentioned things are issues.

I have a running driving XJ... it was 4x4, m/t, i6. 4inch lift. Got it for $500 b/c of title issues. Used it for my comanche conversion --> Lift + 4x4... if there are title issues it's worth scrap to me. That XJ still drives, it's just a 2wd with no title... in my mother's garage... 45 minutes away from where I live... I'm sure it annoys the $#!& out of her... Title Story>

If it was $2500, and a 4.0 like he said it was, then I might have bothered with the title hassle. Worst case, my MJ gets a ton of sweet upgrades. But, since we're not desperate for a car, I'll keep looking.

• 2 weeks later...