How to put an ignition switch back together and save $10

So for the last month or so, I've been starting my truck by vice grips attached to ignition rod and pushing on the grips once they key is on.

Thinking it was something wrong with the switch itself, and not that it had just slipped and needed to be adjusted, I took the ignition switch off to investigate.

After seeing that it was pretty filthy, I thought it would be a marvelous idea to take it apart and give it a little air treatment. To do this I pryed the metal cover off the plastic switch body. Cover your face for this one boys, a couple of these actually hurt.

After about 45 min of searching and a few brews later, I came up with the following parts:

8 tiny springs

2 slightly larger springs

4 brass bars

1 stainless steel bar

1 large spring (seen installed in the plastic switch body)

1 small stainless steel button

1 plastic switch guide

A couple more brews later and some easy elimination, I found that putting it back together was pretty easy.

Starting with the small stainless button, nipple side down:

One slightly larger spring over the button, and the other right next to it. Then the tiny springs:

Brass bars on top the tiny springs, rounded side up. Stainless bar on the slightly larger springs:

Place the plastic switch body over top of it, spring side opposite of the stainless bar side. Then put the metal housing back over it all. Feel free to clean up and re-grease everything while it is apart (not shown).

Or you can save yourself the time and buy a new one. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/ ... ing=search

It does not pay being as curious as I am.