I'm trying to make the ride of my '86 Comanche more highway friendly. I keep 300 lbs of sand over the rear axle to keep from hopping too much. If I brake hard at 70mph or faster, the rear wheels lock up and I go sideways (even with the rear brake bleed/shutoff from the differential connected). Any ideas on a good shock replacement that'll help (or anything that'll help)?

I presume the shocks are stock, don't know how old. They are not super stiff, but work ok.

I should have researched the name of the "height sensor". As the truck bed lifts in a hard stop, it releases the hydraulic pressure on the rear brakes to keep them from being locked up. At least that what I think was the description I derived from reading the manual.

I've seen the setup have two names: load sensing valve and load proportioning valve. It's not so much as the bed rises when you stop, it's based on the load in the back. As you increase the load in the rear, the brakes will need to do more work to stop the vehicle. With an empty bed, you don't want full brakes as there is no weight back there and the brakes will lock up easily.

If you want a better ride, looking into the softer shocks like Sensatrack (or however they spell it) or like OME shocks.

What you can do to help with the braking is to upgrade the front (better pads, rotors, etc). This will help the Jeep stop faster and better and relieve a lot of the stress that the rear brakes have on them.

Do you still have the height sensor? I couldnt really tell from your post if you still have it or not. If you do, you need to make sure the arm is in the correct position for proper bias front to rear. The sensor arm needs to be parallell to the ground at normal ride height. If you have lifted, you also need to lengthen the rod the same amount. If the rod rusted off and you tied the arm in the UP position, youll be getting too much too the rear. If you have removed it, and didnt put in any other type of proportioning valve, then you are getting full brakes to the rear all the time, I can see this situation causing rear lockup. Let us know what you got, or even post a pic of it so we can see. Good luck.

for height sensor-check it and make sure its right angle connected. i gotta find picture of example for right angle. then go ahead test on emtpy parklot and make adjust on rod if need. :thumbsup:

or you can elimiate it by remove the height sensor and replace the proportioning valve block(j-block) from XJ which i did :cheers:

for shock-i would replace all them too. OME FTW :thumbsup:

OME made huge different feel compare with rustyoffroad shocks.

I would look up into OME nitrogas for great ride.

ps: also hows brake fluid condition? maybe need flush it?

• 2 weeks later...

I will get underneath and re-check and photo the height sensor.

I just installed some sensa track shocks. The price was a shock. I see the profile of the truck has changed, it's level, front to rear. I took two hundred pounds out of the bed. I'm still not sure how much better it feels. I'll have to get it up to 80 - 85 and see how much I float.

Thanks for the help guys.

My next two projects are to get the defroster/blower working better and unrust my seat. I'd love to put in two buckets but can't find a bolt-in track to sit the seats on.

I've had this fo twenty years and love it. Used to roll around with my dog sitting next to me. He thought he was driving.