Front end questions.

Howsit fellas. Gonna throw some measurments at you guys to figure a couple things out. Would attach pics but cannot at this time. Anyway. I have death wobble. Hits around 45mph or about 35 on rough road. I've read up on it and know what to check. Needs new control arm bushings and track bar. The control arms are homemade jobs, the po said it had a 5in rancho lift. So I figure I will upgrade to some adjustables maybe rustys? The ones on it right now are 16.75 center to center on the upper and 17.75 on the lowers. The front end never felt right, got some coil bow on the passenger side, the sb disco's are so long they bang the inner fender it pops and clunks when you turn to much and drivers side tire rubs the lca. I am wondering if the po had a larger lift cause everything seems long. The track bar frame bracket has some "customification" to it and the frame mount nut is recessed into the bracket hard to explain. The face of the bracket is about 5 and 7/8s from the bottom face of the frame rail. Is this where it should be? Also the pitman arm measures 3.5in from outside face to outside face. Is this a drop arm? Also the lca frame mount also might have been a victim of the customification. It measures 2" from the face of the frame to the center of the bolt for the lca measured at the same angle as the frame. Not sure how much lift I have total the front and rear sit at 11.75" from top of tube to face of frame rail. How much you guys figure? Just trying to figure out how long the control arms need to be and the track bar I don't know if I should ditch the old frame mount bracket and buy a new one but will I then need a new bar and pitman arm? Hope someone has some info on my situation thanks. Aloha

First off , bad control arm bushings and a bad track bar are the 2 biggest causes of DW . Yes , your should replace them . Where , I'll refer you to Iron Rock offroad . The make big beefy arms , use factory style clevite rubber bushings both ends , and have one of the best prices around . 10% discount to jeepforum members , you might wanna sign up if your not a member and decide to order from them . While shopping there , they also make a very well reviewed double shear track bar and new bracket , again , great prices .

As for the drop arm . Whether you need it or not depends on the track bar and drag link being perpendicular to each other . They should be kept at the same angles .

Your control arms should measure this

@5".......lower...16.62"...upper...15.21" . Most important is keeping your pinion angle proper but the #'s are a good base to start from .

Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on changing them. If it has a drop arm and I get a new bar and bracket I think I will have a problem with the pitman arm. What's the offset of the stock pitman?

As for the control arms I'm not sure of the overall lift that's kinda what I need to know to get the right control arms correct or Are the adjustables made to adjust To accomidate different lift coils?

I the IRO arms can be adjusted from 0" to 6.5" of lift so you can dial it in perfectly from there. If the Jeep has a drop pitman arm and the factory track bar mount on the frame, that could be the cause of the death wobble. You want the frame mounts to be on the same plane as well as the angles (between the mounting locations, not of the arms) to be the same between the track bar and drag link.

If no one chimes in by tonight, I can measure a stock pitman arm I have kicking around to give you the stock measurement to see if you have a drop or not. If you do plan on going with a double shear track bar (which is highly recommended), you should also get a drop pitman arm to match the extra drop of the frame side bracket.

I the IRO arms can be adjusted from 0" to 6.5" of lift so you can dial it in perfectly from there. If the Jeep has a drop pitman arm and the factory track bar mount on the frame, that could be the cause of the death wobble. You want the frame mounts to be on the same plane as well as the angles (between the mounting locations, not of the arms) to be the same between the track bar and drag link.

If no one chimes in by tonight, I can measure a stock pitman arm I have kicking around to give you the stock measurement to see if you have a drop or not. If you do plan on going with a double shear track bar (which is highly recommended), you should also get a drop pitman arm to match the extra drop of the frame side bracket.

It would induce bump steer, but should not cause DW.

Agree with replacing control arms and track bar with some good quality ones.

Also check your toe-in.

I'm not sure if it has the factory track bar bracket. That's why I threw the measurments at you guys. Ok this is a shorter version. I'm going to buy new control arms and track bar. I'm not going to pay to have it aligned before I put the new arms and bar because that would be a waste of money. I pretty much have the deathwobble diagnosed. Need to know how much lift. Has aftermarket fender flares and cut fenders so it's hard to tell how much it's lifted. It is soa rear. 11.75in from top of tube to bottom face of frame. The Iro say get the 3-7" arms if you have a 5" so I don't want to buy the 3-7" if I have a 4" lift. The track bar mount has been modified I need to know stock measurments to have a base line to work with. Please just throw some measurments back at me then I can start ordering things to fix the problem. Aloha.