project chermanche has begun.i need some answers please

hi all,i just started my 88 comanche swb to 97+ cherokee conversion and need some help.

I already have a 97 cherokee with lift,tires winch etc that i am going to put back to stock and sell.All the extras will go on the mj.The lift is RE 4.5 superflex with 31s,also has factory 4.10 axles.I also have a 97 4 door donor that i will be taking the front clip,doors,dash,all wiring,tranny,heater box,interior and everything else possible to update the manche.

The first thing i need is a new fuel tank.Are there any upgrades available?Are short bed and long bed tanks the same.What abount an xj tank?

Second is what to do with the air bags.I was going to ditch them but now i want to keep them.Are there any problems with keeping them intact?

Third question:will stock rear driveshaft work with 231 t case and 8.25 axle soa or will it need a sye and double cardon?

Will the RE lift go on the front just like the XJ without issues?

I am also looking for a camper shell.I believe one for an s-10 will work,right?Are there any other specific models to look for?

I'm sure i will have many more questions but thats all I can think of now.I will have pics tomorrow.thanks

All the XJ/MJ parts are the same firewall forward. The SWB and LWB gas tanks are different and you cannot use a XJ tank. Most aftermarket tanks are thinner metal and you can hear the fuel pump wine, so a pick n pull used tank would be better.

I plan to use a 22 gallon fuel tank from an OBDI Dodge Dakota. You may have space issues in the SWB, I am not sure. The 15 gallon might be a good option for you.

Since the vocabulary everybody uses in their 97+ conversions vary, searching for a specific answer is a bit of a challenge. Your best bet is to read through the build threads to see how us 'coversion' people tackle problems we encounter.

A few of them:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15166

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20535

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26328

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11834

Air bags should function as they would in the XJ if you take care when moving the harness over. Make sure you place the air bag module in the same configuration as it was in the XJ.

Be prepared for a lot of work :wrench: