A904 Torque Converter

OK, so i decided i would take a shot a rebuilding my 904.

I was told that i should replace the torque convertor as well since i was going through the trouble, but there seems to be some confusion about what converter i need. My question is: What info should i try to round up to make sure i get the right part?

It has a yellow marking, and a number stamped on it. Shouldnt that be enough info?

ALSO:

When i got the kit it was just seals gaskets and clutch plates, what about the bands? shouldnt those be replaced too?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Rusty

You should replace the convertor if possible. Look it over for wear on the snout where it goes into the pump and where the bushing runs on it. Get a new pump bushing while your at it.You should be able to order that by application. Get the year, model of truck, engine size and number of teeth on the ring gear, if it has one welded on it. Usually you can re-use the bands, just look them over good for bald spots, and also look at the drums that they run on. I hardly ever replace the rear band , and sometimes the front band. A band thats in good shape is just as good as a new one. Look for cracks on the ends of that thin band.if its not burnt or cracked, its ok. I hope you have a book for this job, a must have for a first time job.