np231 interchange

I've been looking for a spare AX-15 and NP231 to have on hand and swap into my '91 HO. I know some of the cases are clocked differently, but I don't recall any details. I found a NP231 from a '99 Cherokee, and it has a slip yoke eliminator. Is this any good, and is it a direct swap? What's the point of a SYE, any benefits for non-offroading? Normally I'd search on my own but I'm at work and only have a few minutes to waste so thanks in advance :cheers:

Is there a "best" year AX-15/NP231 (or NP242) combo that's a direct swap without having to hammer the tunnel or change splines or anything?

You can use the AX15 and 231 found behind any 4.0 HO. They will all be 23 spline, as is yours.

The T-cases were not clocked differently on XJ's and MJ's. The YJ's were clocked up, and it is the tranny output housing that is clocked, not the t-case.

The SYE is for eliminating driveline vibrations due to high system angles, allowing the use of a double cardan shaft in the rear. This would require you to have a rear driveshaft made. Not worth the additional cost for a street machine.

Hope this helps.

not to offend, but are you sure that TC has an actual SYE installed, or is it just the newer style case with a (stock) sealed output? If it does indeed have an SYE you'll have to build or have made a new rear driveshaft. If it's just a sealed output you can reuse your existing shaft.

Jeff