fuel pump not working after a long sit

MJ's been sitting for a couple months as I've been fixing the frame rot. Went to fire it up this morning and the fuel pump isn't getting power. I checked with a simple lead tester right where the fuel pump connects under the rear of the cab. Didn't see a fuse for it. Any ideas?

Fixing the frame, eh? Did you remove the bed? If so, you probably disconnected an essential wire for the fuel pump. As odd as it may sound, the fuel pump ground connection is located behind the drivers tail light. It will be the black wire that is screwed to the bed sheet metal. You can use a jumper wire from the ground on fuel pump itself to somewhere nearby. That's what I had to do to when I had my bed off and needed to move the truck around. Also had to figure out a clever method of holding the fuel tank up...

Silly me, there was nothing wrong with it from the get go. I could have sworn this thing had a loud fuel pump so I never gave it a chance by cranking a lot.

I was going to remove the fuel pump and the lines started leaking gas. Huh? Only way that can happen is if the pump is primed. Why didn't I hear it running? Sure enough, I cranked it and cranked it and it fired and ran.

Still, there's a bit of a problem so I didn't run it for long. I tried to remove the electrical connector to check for power and here it is:

I've never done one of these but I'm sure this isn't right. I can't pull the connector off anymore and it's really loose. I'm assuming that black cylinder is supposed to stay in the fuel pump and only the cap is supposed to come off?

I've never done one of these but I'm sure this isn't right. I can't pull the connector off anymore and it's really loose. I'm assuming that black cylinder is supposed to stay in the fuel pump and only the cap is supposed to come off?

It has been a while since I've messed with the fuel pump, but I think you are correct in that statement. The black plastic thing that is coming out is a "terminal block", if you will. On the inside of the tank is a wire that runs from the black connector to the pump. You probably can't pull it out anymore because that wire is now fully extended and holding the black clip in place. I'm not even sure if there is a cap on the outside of the connector, like you described, but if there is then that would be the only thing that's supposed to come off.

Figures. :doh: How can I repair this one? I have a bad record of fixing things that don't need to be fixed and causing more problems for myself. And the fuel gauge isn't working now either. The motor runs fine, maybe I can just glue it back in place until the pump itself fails.

A quick google search showed me a pic of a 4.0 fuel pump, that connector is hardwired, as is in, not supposed to disconnect from the pump at that spot, only from the other connector under the cab. Why don't I check these things before I start touching things? :banghead: Thought I was done with making stupid mistakes.

I'll check that ground when I get out there next.

I may just use some epoxy on that terminal and glue it back in.

A quick google search showed me a pic of a 4.0 fuel pump, that connector is hardwired, as is in, not supposed to disconnect from the pump at that spot, only from the other connector under the cab. Why don't I check these things before I start touching things? :banghead: Thought I was done with making stupid mistakes.

I think that connector will be in constant contact with gasoline. I'd look into gasoline-safe epoxy's, if they even exist.

I think that connector will be in constant contact with gasoline. I'd look into gasoline-safe epoxy's, if they even exist.

Good thought. I'm not sure the stuff I want to use is gas proof but I have some JB Weld that is gas proof.