Copart salvage auctions

terrawombat

Anyone ever use this site to find vehicles? I signed up for it a long time ago and put a deposit down so I could bid on the vehicles on there. I've got my deposit back in full, but I'm still able to log into the virtual online auctions just to see what some of these vehicles go for. It's pretty interesting to see who bids on different types of vehicles. Each person is listed in the auction by the state (or if you're not in the USA, the country) you're registered under. I just watched a couple of XJ's go for $650 and $700, both to a fellow (I assume it's the same guy) from the United Arab Emirates.

It's also interesting to see where late 80's and early 90's Toyota pickups go. I watched a handful of those go to Costa Rica.

The Afgan's seem to be fond of cheap, Toyota sedans like older Corolla's and Corsica's.

Some of the vehicles on there go pretty cheap, but others have me scratching my head wondering why a Porsche Cayenne Turbo is selling for 15 grand when it doesn't look like it has a single salvageable part left on it. I guess these people know what they're doing, though...

The Afgan's seem to be fond of cheap, Toyota sedans like older Corolla's and Corsica's.

If your going to blow yourself and the car up, why get something expensive?

:rotf:

copart is nice for cheap stuff. i signed up awhile ago to bid on a parts MJ from a flood in TN but the more i researched it, the more i didnt like it. The auction i wanted you had to have a dealers licence, which i did not, so i went around to different boneyards and cheapy lots seeing if they would bid on it, i would pay them in full for the truck plus extra cash for doing me a favor, and go pick it up myself. Well the one yard that I'm kinda on a good note with said theres alot more fees that what the auction ends at. The MJ ended up going for $350 i think and he said youll more than double that in stupid fees they have before you even take it off the copart lot.

And now a side story....while searching for someone willing to buy the truck for me, one of my stops was Daveys Jeeps in salem ohio. he wouldnt buy the truck cause he "doesnt deal with comanches at all. there is no longer a market for them" after the auction ended about 2 weeks later the MJ shows up infront of his shop :fs1: I will never shop daveys jeeps again!!

Josh

Yea, there are a bunch of hidden fees with Copart. I researched them a long time ago, but I tried finding them again on their website and it seems to be hidden. On the XJ I was looking at bidding on, I had up to $500 to spend, but it wound up going for something like $1500, so I just sat back and watched.