2WD UCA Axle Bushing Replacement ??

Has anyone done this? The mounting ears on the 4WD are solid pieces and replacing the bushings on these is a straightforward press job or even heat and beat. :D But on the 2WD axle, they are not solid; there are two sheet metal ears on ech side. The FSM calls for a special bearing press that has a spacer between the ears so they don't get bent, and says DO NOT attempt to press out the bushings w/o this tool for that reason. I have never replaced the front axle UCA bushings on a 2WD and have been putting this off, but need to replace the UCAs and bushings. Anyone done this?

Image Not Found

On a 4wd axle, only the driver side is solid, and the disconnect axles too I think. But non-disco 30s use the same type mount on the passenger side. I replaced the bushings on my 30 when I did my balljoints and used a balljoint press to press the old ones out and the new ones in. Worked fine, and I did not use any sort of spacer inside the mount. But if you used something that did not press evenly, it could be an issue. I suggest using a balljoint press. It was an easy job.

Hey Don,

Pick up bushings for a WJ. It is an upgrade in that the metal bolt sleeves are smooth and near the same diameter as the bolts as opposed to the originals having the "dimples" the bolts rides on. I think they cost the same as the originals too.

FWIW, when I was at Goodyear getting an allignment, I asked about replacing them. They didn't want to touch it with a ten foot pole. (Said they didn't have the proper press)

Check out this link:

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/Featured+Content/XJ-Control-Arm-Bushing-Replacement/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/360764

Thanks Matt. I saw that link when it had pictures and cobbled a similar press together but haven't tried it out yet. Some guys say replacing those bushings is easy, some say it's a major PITA. I'll soon find out. I just haven't been in the mood to work on the truck lately though.......... :D