Thinking about a new front axle

I'm pretty sure my ball joints are gone and tie rods are toast and something in the front end is creaking so I'm thinking about getting a new D30 maybe a D44 how hard would it be to change. Do i have to modify anything in order to do this upgrade and will a non disco D30 get less MPG than a Disco or would it be better jest to put money in my D30 without replacing it.

If all you need is ball joints, then just replace them. The tie rod ends, and your creaking are most likely not axle related. Ball joints are like $20 each, and tie rods the same... Why put in a used axle you don't know the history of?

Going to be a lot of work to replace a whole axle just for some ball joints.

Rob L.

The disco housing itself is pretty strong,

I've been running the same 87' Disco 30 since 1994, in three different Jeeps (yep, I just cursed myself).

You can add a seal, and a 1-piece shaft, if you just want to lose the disco feature,

or you can find big joint 2-piece YJ shafts (last couple years of YJ's had the bigger U-joints, with 2-piece shafts).

Either way I didn't notice any MPG change after I swapped in a 1-piece shaft.

Well the creaking is not from the tie rod ends and i do not beleve its comin from the ball joints had it up on the lift and if you spin eather of the tiers the passenger side creaks.

If you spin the tire, it creaks? As in rotate, not turn the steering wheel? If so, then its a unit bearing, or dust shield on the brakes... Not ball joints.

Rob L.