Odd Temp problem

So, after I did new thermo and a coolant system fluch The temp guage on the 87 started reading lower than when I bought it. It still seemed to be in the proper range though, it would climb to about 3/4 of the way between the first mark and the 210 mark. I figured that was about 190. Today, I noticed that it was closer down to the first white mark, 160 maybe? The odd thing happens when I turn on the heater. I Turned the heater onto full heat and the temp gauge went up to the middle of the marks. Now that doesn't make any sense to me, I would think it would drop, since the heater is removing more engine heat. The Engine seems to run fine, I don't think it's dropping into open loop yet. Today the temp was about 20*, yesterday was the same, and it wasn't doing this. I'm beginning to think the thermostat is a bit wonky. Perhaps turning on the heater relieves some of the pressure on the thermostat and it closes again?

Heat is good,

I'm not losing coolant, the bottle is still at the same level. I've "burped" the system twice since I've flushed and filled it. I pulled the back wheel up onto a 2 foot section of my retaining wall, popped the temp sender and waited for coolant to come out the hole. The second time I did it there was no air.

Any ideas.

It sounds like there is air in your system. Run it hard for ten minutes then open the bottle, and keep doing this. If you have no temp change after 5 or 6 times then your sensor might have been funky(have trash on it before coolant drain), and now with clean fluid it is reading" correct"

Patrick

well, I burped it again last night using the temp sensor hole. There wasn't any air that I could see, Fluid up about half way in the hole with the temp sensor out. I poured some more coolant into the bottle and it just flowed out of the hole. I wailed on her this morning on the way to work, then popped the top on the bottle. I heard some boiling, I'm not sure where it came from though. I will do it some more and we'll see.