Hey guys I haven't been on in like a year and a half, sorry about that. I am finally getting around to fixing my Comanche. Before I know when I asked about what was wrong with it it was diagnosed with a bad cross shaft main bearing. So after I get off work in the morning I'm going to pick up a rebuilt ax5. What all am I looking at when I go to do the swap? I just wanna be prepared as I'm working under a time crunch on it. I am also planning on putting in a new clutch kit that I have as well. I am planning on doing an oil change and re greasing all the grease points. Is there anything else you guys recommend doing while I'm at it. She's been sitting since Jan of 2009. The tires don't look bad and the body is still rust free, Thank God. Thanks guys! Oh and also it's a 1986 Comanche Custom 4x4.

Transmission swap should be pretty straightforward. What year is it out of? They're all identical, except for bellhousing and bearing retainer plates. If the rebuilt unit was set up for an internal slave cylinder, you'll need to swap the bearing retainer off your old trans onto it, and obviously the bellhousing(rebuilt unit probably won't have one anyway)

Do you know how to test your clutch to make sure everything's correct before you install your trans? Might as well since you can. Internal slaves can't do that.

If your truck's been sitting that long, it'll probably need the gas drained out and new stuff put in.

Transmission swap should be pretty straightforward. What year is it out of? They're all identical, except for bellhousing and bearing retainer plates. If the rebuilt unit was set up for an internal slave cylinder, you'll need to swap the bearing retainer off your old trans onto it, and obviously the bellhousing(rebuilt unit probably won't have one anyway)

Do you know how to test your clutch to make sure everything's correct before you install your trans? Might as well since you can. Internal slaves can't do that.

If your truck's been sitting that long, it'll probably need the gas drained out and new stuff put in.

The unit did have one but it's not the right bell housing but I know that's just a few bolts to swap it out. I'm not sure how to test the clutch. How would I do that? Yeah the gas has me worried some as far as getting it out but I know I can get it out and get some fresh in there. Thanks!