Murphy the 1/2-ton cross-country adventure-mobile

In 2001 I bought my '89 Comanche 4x4 Pioneer Shortbed. It came with a 4.0 (Renix MPI), BA-10, NP231 combo and the typical D30R/D35 with 3.07 gears and 29" (or the metric equivalent) tires. It had new paint, new tires, nice rims, cold AC, barely over 100k miles, and for $2500 I was a very happy 20 y/o. I took it to Tellico (RIP) and Uwharrie with 30" tires and camped in the back on a cot, with a matching fiberglass topper I picked up in a junkyard keeping me covered. It was then that I conceived of the notion of turning it into a very reliable cross-country adventure-mobile. Something able to tear down the highway at 70mph in air-conditioned comfort, CD-player blasting, and then 'wheel around the forests, mountains, and deserts. I made repairs and modifications based on that ideal.

It's been the most reliable vehicle I've owned. Even though:

I cracked a piston in the #1 cylinder and had to drive 500 miles on 5 cylinders. This led to a '97 4.0L from an XJ finding it's way under the hood.

The BA-10 ate its syncros and was replaced by an AX-15 from a YJ, which also needed a rebuild (which is surprisingly cheap when they don't have to remove and re-install the tranny and you supply the parts). The YJ tranny clocked the t-case nice and flat!

The trans swap dictated a t-case swap to a NP-231 from a TJ. I have a rebuilt NP208 that might find its way under there some day, and I'm also considering a 242 for full-time 4x...

The rear axle seized a wheel-bearing and threw the wheel and axle out the side of the Jeep, denting the bed in the process, then crossing the median, two oncoming lanes of traffic, and a big ditch while my truck merrily ground the brakes into the asphalt. I replaced it with an axle from a Grand Wagoneer.

While I was replacing the rear axle... the front axle was bent and made the tires wear prematurely, so I replaced that with an axle from a Grand Wagoneer. TNT Customs supplied the truss, I did the grinding, and a friend did the welding.

While I was replacing the axles...

I put a 3" lift from Rusty's on it, with custom LCAs with the inward-bend feature, and an adjustable track bar. The rear got the U-bolts flipped by using the u-bolt plates off a junkyard full-size SOA Chevy. There are custom shock-mount plates under the springs. Actually, one is the front track bar mount from the Grand Wagoneer that donated its axle, which is so perfect that the other is simply a mirrored version of it.

Since the wheel-lug pattern changed, I got some American Racing baja-style wheels and wrapped them with 31x10.5 MTs from TreadWright (previously known as High-Tech Retreading, whom I bought my previous set of tires from).

The axles still have 2.72 gears in them, but I've got 4.10s gears, installation kits, an OX for the rear and a Detroit for the front. I'm actually selling the Detroit to help fund another OX so I can venture into snow without losing my ability to steer. When the 31s wear out I'll probably move up to 33s with some sheet metal trimming. It depends on how much I like the 31" / 4.10 / 5-spd combo.

Pictures will be coming soon, as the finishing touches on the axle swap (replacing all bearings, refurbishing the brakes, etc) are still in progress.

Also, I'm expecting to do a custom full-floating rear axle conversion that will use the same spindles, hubs, and brakes as the front axle.