Special glitter additive.

Automan2164

Just finished my rear axle service (Yes Pete, I put bearings, seals, and new fluid into a D35C :roll: ), and I just wanted to share my findings... Turns out, I had special gold flaked fluid in the rear axle, must have been a rare option from jeep. :teehee: It had nothing to do with my carrier bearings grenading at all. ;)

So, next question, I have heard that diff bearings in the ZJ's are common, but is there anything else I should be looking at with both of these suckers bit the dust? I was thinking the somewhat grabby NP249, but not sure... Just a ZJ thing?

Lets just say the ride home was the quiet I have been searching for. Only took 2 complete axle re-builds. :brows:

Rob L.

If it a V8 then its simply not enough axle for that power and torque. frequent oil changes and easy driving can make it last but its simply not enough axle for a V8. If its a 4.0, well its simply not en... You get the picture. LOL Keep changing that fluid and be aware of tires. Rotate frequently and they must be the same size or you will wreak havoc on that drive line. the only AWD that is immune in the Jeep line up is that 242 T case.

CW

I have rebuilt sooo many Dana axles I could do it in my sleep. I think that there was a combination of poor quality parts with a very poor and inconsistant set up from the factory. I have seen carriers in 30's, 35's and 44A's that would literally fall out when the caps were removed, to ones where it wouldn't come out with the spreader stretched to the max and using a 6 foot bar to pry with. Have also seen where there is RUST present beneath carrier and pinion bearings. Pretty sad statement on the American workforce that stuff like that happens.

I have rebuilt sooo many Dana axles I could do it in my sleep. I think that there was a combination of poor quality parts with a very poor and inconsistant set up from the factory. I have seen carriers in 30's, 35's and 44A's that would literally fall out when the caps were removed, to ones where it wouldn't come out with the spreader stretched to the max and using a 6 foot bar to pry with. Have also seen where there is RUST present beneath carrier and pinion bearings. Pretty sad statement on the American workforce that stuff like that happens.

Yeah, I was COMPLETELY unaware of the need of a spreader until after I hammered the carrier, bearing, and race assy into the housing... Talk about a PITA. Everything came out good, but I am just hoping I never have to do it again.

If it a V8 then its simply not enough axle for that power and torque. frequent oil changes and easy driving can make it last but its simply not enough axle for a V8. If its a 4.0, well its simply not en... You get the picture. LOL Keep changing that fluid and be aware of tires. Rotate frequently and they must be the same size or you will wreak havoc on that drive line. the only AWD that is immune in the Jeep line up is that 242 T case.

CW

Yep 4.0L, tires are all the same size and of similar condition. I need to find a NP231.

Ok, along the same lines, what kind of fluid SHOULD I be running in the alxes for the best life?

Rob L.