newbie needs help with belt change

kinda easy to tell I'm not much of a mechanic isin't it? Would like to change out the serpintine (sp) belt on my 1988 4.0 L comanche. Has AC and power steering. The only component I can see that has a slide on it's mounting bracket is the power steering pump and mine looks to have a bolt missing on the top side where the slide is so I'm lost. Any help would be appreciated.

The adjuster/tensioner is, as you suspected, the power steering pump. There is an adjusting screw that points toward the air box on the drivers side of the pump. However, before you can make any adjustments, you have to loosen about six bolts that hold the pump to the bracket. IIRC, three aren't too difficult to access from above, and three are nearly impossible to access from anywhere. Best route is to remove the air box to get access.

The adjuster/tensioner is, as you suspected, the power steering pump. There is an adjusting screw that points toward the air box on the drivers side of the pump. However, before you can make any adjustments, you have to loosen about six bolts that hold the pump to the bracket. IIRC, three aren't too difficult to access from above, and three are nearly impossible to access from anywhere. Best route is to remove the air box to get access.

:agree:

don't fight it with the airbox in place. I think there are 3 bolts in back of the pump, the one on top as a pivot, one in front/underneath to lock the adjustment slider, and one facing the fender which is the one you use to crank the tension either way.

Rob L.