UHG, Another noise

This one sounds like something is begining to come loose somewhere, sounds like something spinning freely when its not supposed to. its not constant. it most often happens at the top of first gear and continues for a second or two when i push in the clutch to shift and then stops, it doesnt happen in second gear and sonetimes happens in third gear. i can also make it happen if I'm in neutral and make a sharp turn around 30mph. i can't tell if its the tranny(ba-10) or not because it happens both when the clutch is engaged and when its in neutral. the sound does get faster when it happens in first gear and and slows when i push in the clutch pedal and when it happens on a fast turn the sound stays constant and goes away when i engage the clutch. this is really hard to describe, i have to try to find a way to record it. I'm really desperate to fix this because it sounds like something bad. thanks

Erik jamminz.gif

Common Clutch area noises:

Throw-out bearing: While clutch is depressed (Bearing that presses the clutch when you press down)

Pilot bearing: Transmission in gear, clutch depressed (Bearing located in the flywheel, holds the tip of the input shaft)

Pocket bearing: Noise in all gears, except your 1:1, usually 4th. Goes away when clutch is depressed. (Bearing located in the back of the input bearing, to hold up the main shaft)

:dunno:

Rob L.

No, not really. Drop the trans, and in the center of the flywheel, there is a recession that holds the bearing. They are usually pressed in, so you might have to work to get it out, but it is the least labor intensive out of the bearings.

A pilot bearing noise will also go away when you are in neutral (clutch depressed or not), or when you are in gear with the clutch out. Only time it really howls is when the input shaft is stationery(won't move when the trans is in gear) and the flywheel is spinning. It goes away while driving(usually), because the clutch is holding the input shaft and the flywheel at the same speed(with the clutch out), hence no difference in rotation to make the bearing howl.

Still sound right?

Rob L.

ehhh. its not so much a howl as a rattle. and the time it happens most is when the clutch is engaged and I'm at the top end of first gear, then if i step on the clutch and hold it in, the rattle will go away after about 2 seconds, but it i quickly shift to second, it stops when i re-engage it and accelerate. i can't get it to do it when I'm in neutral and stepping on the gas, but i can make it do it like i said when i make a hard turn at a good speed weather the tranny is in neutral or if its in gear and I'm stepping on the clutch, it still happens until i engage the clutch again. :dunno: