steering column removal

ok, I got my steering column apart, tightened up the 4 bolts and put everything back together and i still have wobble.

After tearing it back down again. i see that the plate that the four bolts screw into (lower housing bolting plate) is not positioned into the steering column jacket.

I've pulled everything down again and need to actually remove the main shaft assembly in order to re-position the plate.

I removed the bolts from the floor board and removed the bolts from the dash and the column is free except for in the actual engine bay where the shaft ties into the rest of the steering components.

my problem is i can't really see how to disconnect the shaft in the engine bay. I jacked it up and put it on jack stands and can't really see from the bottom.

I can kind of see it from the top but i'll have to start removing stuff to actually get in there to disconnect it.

Anyone done this before have any better suggestions? Can I get to it better from the wheel well or something?

i looked at it again last night. I was able to see the place that I think I need to get to for removal. There is a type of universal joint but up above is a bolt that I expect holds everything in place. I sprayed it with PB Blaster last night and hope to look at it more tonight.

Any suggestions before i get started?

Just remove the one bolt (engine bay side) where the column meets up with the steering shaft. Its on the firewall side of the little u-joint. After the bolt is removed go back in the cab and pull the column straight back and it will separate from the steering shaft.

i looked at it again last night. I was able to see the place that I think I need to get to for removal. There is a type of universal joint but up above is a bolt that I expect holds everything in place. I sprayed it with PB Blaster last night and hope to look at it more tonight.

Any suggestions before i get started?

If you can't get to that bolt, there is also another one just like it down near the sterring box. But I would do the top one if you can get at it. Easiest way is to turn the steering wheel until the bolt is facing up.