few questions about valve lifters

ok i think the problem is with my lifters. do i have to remove the head to replace them. also how can i find out witch one is bad? the ticking is coming from the head. it only has about 103,xxx mi. i just really stressed out about this.

it kinda takes you knowing how a bad lifter sounds to know if they are bad. Usually a ticking sound, whinch is not very helpful since the 4.o has a very noisy drivetrain to begin with. Assuming that one or more is bad:

To replace, You would pull the VC, pull the head, then use a magnet on a stick to remove the old lifters. Fill the new ones with oil and pump them a few times to get them to absorbe some oil and not start off dry. Replace all of them, they are only a few bucks each. Drop the new lifters in the holes. Then replace all the rods and rockers/hardware back where it came from. Do not mix up the valvetrain, it needs to stay matched to each valve. I would add a Zinc based additive for the first oil change period after this (oh yea, change your oil while you are at it). Something like STP oil treatment or I think the MOPAR oil additive has a bit of Zinc as well. Replace the head gasket, and Reinstall the head. If your head bolts did not have a dab of paint on them when you removed them you can re-install them, if they did or if you know that they have been re-torqued before but not marked then you will need ned head gaskets. While they are not torque to yield, you are only supposed to re-torque them once or maybe twice depending on what you read.

viola