XJ components information

EDITED:LATER FOUND THIS ARTICLE IS NOT ENTIRELY ACCURATE THANKS TO EAGLE'S KNOWLEDGE!

http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredvehic ... index.html

I came across this in the June 2007 article of JP magazine and luckily is it on the jpmagazine site so I could link to it and not worry about copyrights :D , and think it could save a lot of questions and wear and tear on keyboards...

The link really outlines the years and parts changes, a lot of helpful info for those of us that are swap hungry! :banana:

http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredvehicles/154_0706_jeep_cherokee_laredo/index.html

I came across this in the June 2007 article of JP magazine and luckily is it on the jpmagazine site so I could link to it and not worry about copyrights :D , and think it could save a lot of questions and wear and tear on keyboards...

The link really outlines the years and parts changes, a lot of helpful info for those of us that are swap hungry! :banana:

Problem is, the article is chock full or errors and misinformation. The editors did a lousy job of fact checking. This article should never have been released. As Ronald Reagan said, "Trust ... but verify."

A quick sampling:

Most smart folks went for the injected 2.5L four-cylinder instead.

Wrong. The 2.5L had a carburetor in the 84 ans 85 models. The TBI version didn't show up until the 86 model year.

As for modifying them, the '91-'93 engines utilized the earlier OBD-1 engine system management that is more easily massaged than the later '94-and-later OBD-II system.

OBD-II didn't show up until the 1996 model year, and in the 96s it was somewhat of a kludge implementation. The real OBD-II started in 97.

Transmissions

Early four-bangers used the AX-4 four-speed and later the AX-5 five-speed.

There was no "later" involved. The AX-4 4-speed was the base transmission. The AX-5 was always optional. The only real change was that somewhere around 1990 or 1991 they stopped using the AX-4 entirely and made the AX-5 the base transmission.

In 1990, the AX-15 came on board as the standard five-speed and stayed around until 2000. The last XJs got the NV3550.

The AX-15 was introduced in mid-year 1989, and it stayed thriough 1999, not through 2000. I have a 2000 XJ. It has the NV3550.

That's all I could stand. I couldn't force myself to read any deeper into that mess.

Thanks for all the clarifications, you would think you think a freakin' magazine entitled JP magazine would know jeeps... Well guess that isn't the case.

This is my only defense of the article:

The AX-15 was introduced in mid-year 1989, and it stayed thriough 1999, not through 2000. I have a 2000 XJ. It has the NV3550.

The text said "until 2000" not through 2000, but that is only splitting hairs...

So I guess disregard....I will delete it if I can.