Tranny trouble

hey guys. i am having some tranny trouble with the comanche. she's got the 2.8v6 with a 5spd. this all happened in one drive on my way home the other day. she started making a bad noise from the front driver what seemed to be axle and it was doing it in all gears except 4th. then it started kicking it out of first when i was attempting to pull out from a light and then i started it yesterday and it isn't doing anything in first. not kicking it out not stalling out when i had the clutch let out. what do you guys think is wrong and is there any good non rip off shops in the area that i could take her to? thanks for the help!

I think you have the AX5 tranny. You should be able to find a good used unit for minimal cost. If you and your buddies can't install it yourself, I would recommend taking it to an off road shop, around here anyway they seem to be a lot cheaper than your typical repair garage and should be very experienced with the AX5. (alot of times also, off road shops have used trannys laying around that they have swapped out of Jeeps. The AX5 is a pretty popular unit to swap out.

I think you have the AX5 tranny. You should be able to find a good used unit for minimal cost. If you and your buddies can't install it yourself, I would recommend taking it to an off road shop, around here anyway they seem to be a lot cheaper than your typical repair garage and should be very experienced with the AX5. (alot of times also, off road shops have used trannys laying around that they have swapped out of Jeeps. The AX5 is a pretty popular unit to swap out.

ok great! thanks! i'll start looking online for a offroad shop in the area. i'm a newb to jeep's. i got the comanche as my daily. i'm a mustang enthusiast.

sounds like your cross shaft had a bearing go out in the midplate to me.

I've had this happen twice now but blown an ax5 4 times already lol.

this first picture is a top view of your trans' guts. the input shaft is on the right, then the cluster gears and midplate and output is through the midplate to the left.

4th gear is a 1:1 ratio and is a simple lock between the input and output shaft. all other gears are run from the input to the cross shaft to whichever gear is selected. the cross shaft is located under the input and output shaft, with the revers idler gear being on the driver's side of the case at the same level as the cross shaft. this is a picture of the whole trans from the driver's side.

they're not too hard to rebuild, and I've got plenty of parts to help you rebuild yours if you wish to.

sounds like your cross shaft had a bearing go out in the midplate to me.

I've had this happen twice now but blown an ax5 4 times already lol.

this first picture is a top view of your trans' guts. the input shaft is on the right, then the cluster gears and midplate and output is through the midplate to the left.

4th gear is a 1:1 ratio and is a simple lock between the input and output shaft. all other gears are run from the input to the cross shaft to whichever gear is selected. the cross shaft is located under the input and output shaft, with the revers idler gear being on the driver's side of the case at the same level as the cross shaft. this is a picture of the whole trans from the driver's side.

they're not too hard to rebuild, and I've got plenty of parts to help you rebuild yours if you wish to.

so that would cause it to be popping out of first and now not doing anything when it's in first? if so then i'd love to be able to get some parts and fix it myself. i'm decently mechanically inclined. and i'm sure i can find some jeep guys in my area to help me with the rebuild. thanks! talk to you soon!

so that would cause it to be popping out of first and now not doing anything when it's in first? if so then i'd love to be able to get some parts and fix it myself. i'm decently mechanically inclined. and i'm sure i can find some jeep guys in my area to help me with the rebuild. thanks! talk to you soon!

yes. it would also cause noises in every gear but 4th gear.

in this picture

you can see the input shaft on the left with the input gear to the cross shaft. the first gear on the output shaft (which connects to the input shaft) is 4th gear. when that is engaged, it slides a collar between the input and 4th gear, locking them together for a 1:1 ratio.

the next gear is 3rd gear. it is run off the cross shaft...a collar slides and locks the the gear to the output shaft, thus connecting the cross shaft to the output shaft on 3rd gear

2nd gear is next in line, and functions identically to 3rd gear.

1st gear is next in line and closest to the midplate and bearing. it works just the same as 2nd and 3rd. matter of fact, I believe the syncros are interchangable between the 3 of them.

5th gear is an add-on on the other side of the midplate. an ax4 4 speed is the same as an ax5 5 speed except that instead of 5th gear, it has a mini balancer on it, and the slide rails are slightly different.

reverse works by simply connecting the input shaft through the cross shaft and hooking the cross shaft to the reverse gear on the output shaft...which is why the reverse has an idler gear instead of a syncro and shift collar.

so, I think your problem is that your bearing went out for the cross shaft on your midplate, which is why 1st gear no longer functions..it's running crooked. this would cause noises in all other gears except 4th gear.

the other problem you could have, which is one that I've had, is that your input gear has sheared off from the input shaft and cross shaft. that would look like this: (it is the first gear on the right, directly behind the input bearing.)

it'd be easiest to install a replacement, but you can build it yourself for less than $100 if you only replace what is bad and ensure that the syncros are all good.

a VERY important thing to remember while you're working on this...there are ALOT of detents and springs in that midplate and on the slide rails. if you don't HAVE to take the rails out, don't. the only rail I ever removed when rebuilding three of these cases was the 5th gear rail...you can take it apart yourself if you're gentle without ever removing any other rails (though you may have to turn several of them)

yes. it would also cause noises in every gear but 4th gear.

in this picture

you can see the input shaft on the left with the input gear to the cross shaft. the first gear on the output shaft (which connects to the input shaft) is 4th gear. when that is engaged, it slides a collar between the input and 4th gear, locking them together for a 1:1 ratio.

the next gear is 3rd gear. it is run off the cross shaft...a collar slides and locks the the gear to the output shaft, thus connecting the cross shaft to the output shaft on 3rd gear

2nd gear is next in line, and functions identically to 3rd gear.

1st gear is next in line and closest to the midplate and bearing. it works just the same as 2nd and 3rd. matter of fact, I believe the syncros are interchangable between the 3 of them.

5th gear is an add-on on the other side of the midplate. an ax4 4 speed is the same as an ax5 5 speed except that instead of 5th gear, it has a mini balancer on it, and the slide rails are slightly different.

reverse works by simply connecting the input shaft through the cross shaft and hooking the cross shaft to the reverse gear on the output shaft...which is why the reverse has an idler gear instead of a syncro and shift collar.

so, I think your problem is that your bearing went out for the cross shaft on your midplate, which is why 1st gear no longer functions..it's running crooked. this would cause noises in all other gears except 4th gear.

the other problem you could have, which is one that I've had, is that your input gear has sheared off from the input shaft and cross shaft. that would look like this: (it is the first gear on the right, directly behind the input bearing.)

it'd be easiest to install a replacement, but you can build it yourself for less than $100 if you only replace what is bad and ensure that the syncros are all good.

a VERY important thing to remember while you're working on this...there are ALOT of detents and springs in that midplate and on the slide rails. if you don't HAVE to take the rails out, don't. the only rail I ever removed when rebuilding three of these cases was the 5th gear rail...you can take it apart yourself if you're gentle without ever removing any other rails (though you may have to turn several of them)

that is some really great info and pics! thank you so much for the help! i really appreciate it!!! where is a good place to get a replacement at?

that is some really great info and pics! thank you so much for the help! i really appreciate it!!! where is a good place to get a replacement at?

you're welcome!

best place, most likely a junkyard. where's your location?

if you decide to do a replacement, I can still walk you through a trans rebuild after you've swapped it...once you've gotten it rebuilt, you can sell the rebuilt trans and get your $$$ back out of it, or use it as a good learning experience.

you're welcome!

best place, most likely a junkyard. where's your location?

if you decide to do a replacement, I can still walk you through a trans rebuild after you've swapped it...once you've gotten it rebuilt, you can sell the rebuilt trans and get your $$$ back out of it, or use it as a good learning experience.

after i rebuild it i'd just be putting it back on my truck instead of switching it. i'm in triangle va but i'll be in johnson city tn this coming weekend.