losing coolant

First off, I own an 89 comanche with a 4.0l 5-speed. I recently had it smogged and un-benounced to me the thermostat stuck at some time that week and it ended up overheating badly while it was running. It blew the bottom radiator hose, and put a pin-hole in my coolant res. After replacing both of those items it's now burning coolant off from somewhere. I can smell it but there's no drips anywhere, nor is there steam, or anything to help me see where it's coming from. I can only guess at this point it's coming from a crack in the head, and burning off before it drips anywhere....I am hoping this isn't the case obviously so any input you may have would be welcome. Also, all of the coolant smell is from the engine compartment, none from the tailpipe "although it might be hard to smell over exhaust fumes" and I've checked the radiator and everywhere else for the past 3 weeks. Oh, the other thing worth mentioning is there is no water in the oil, and since I've drained down a res. of coolant in just under 2 weeks, I'm figuring if it's a crack in the head that it'd have to be on the exhaust side.....any ideas?