Running well - some answers FYI

Lessons I learned:

Even if you seem stuck, and are frustrated, as long as you have another vehicle to drive, never EVER take a 20 year old car/truck/whatever to the mechanic! The information here is great, and most people have probably seen your problem before. That said:

I got the 2.5 to go into closed loop, but it had NOTHING to do with the temp sensor. NOTHING. The mechanic who did my fuel pump, while rooting around for wires, cracked the hard vacuum line going to the MAP sensor. Once I fixed this, the car began running correctly. So there is more to open/closed loop than simply temperature.

I was using oil like crazy. A few years back, when the old motor was blowing by like crazy, I was scrambling to do anything to stop/slow it. I pulled the rear grommet from the valve cover, where vacuum is applied. The 2.2mm opening was almost closed from years of crap. I took a drill bit and bored it out, to make sure I was getting adequate vacuum. Well, that opening was 2.2mm for a reason. On the new engine, with great vacuum, I was losing oil through the CCV system. Replaced the grommet, stopped losing oil.

Thanks for the help -- I can finally move forward with the truck and enjoy driving it!

Oh, and the other thing I learned is if you have access to a DRB II with the Jeep module, it really helps in diagnosis! LOL

:rotf: