Multifunction stalk

Has anyone here tried to disassemble the multi-function turn signal stalk? mine has a seperated wire in the cruise control harness, and despite best efforts has resisted my attemts to take it apart.

I have gotten it off the column, but cannot figure out how to get the plastic end off.

Responses are appreciated.

Which of the 3 Jeeps are you working on?

Some older GM stalks (the black piece/switch out on the end) came off by prying with a couple screw drivers. That black piece was only glued on the chrome stalk. However, I can't recall for sure but I thought the set button in the end of the thing had to be removed first. Hmm, maybe that ws to get inside of the switch. Anyways I recall breaking a small piece of the thing by prying to hard, but it went back together after I had resolder the wires in the thing. There's an article out there on it, I'll see if I can find it again. Think it pertained to a Fiero or Chevell.

Which of the 3 Jeeps are you working on?

Some older GM stalks (the black piece/switch out on the end) came off by prying with a couple screw drivers. That black piece was only glued on the chrome stalk. However, I can't recall for sure but I thought the set button in the end of the thing had to be removed first. Hmm, maybe that ws to get inside of the switch. Anyways I recall breaking a small piece of the thing by prying to hard, but it went back together after I had resolder the wires in the thing. There's an article out there on it, I'll see if I can find it again. Think it pertained to a Fiero or Chevell.

Mine is the typical saginaw multifunction switch mounted on the tilt XJ column. This switch has the interval wipers w/wash, and the cruise control slider in the top with the button recessed in the end. I have installed the column in the 89 MJ.

Removal from column is easy, and you can pry off the button in the end. but seperating the black plastic wiper control from the shaft is what I can't figure out. The wires for the cruise run inside the shaft for a bit, then exit from a hole about 3/4 the way down.

Unfortunately, two of the wires are skinned there, and need to be heat-shrink wrapped.

I was wrong about where that black piece separated. Not down at the chrome as I stated , but, the 2 black pieces separate as shown in the photo. This frees the switch so you can then pull the switch up aways to expose wires. Hope this helps.

Image Not Found

Got the thing apart today without too much trouble. I really appreciate the heads up on how..I could not see the fine joint between the two plastic pieces (until I put the reading glasses on!)

Thanks again. :clapping:

As I got help from Dezipped (thanks!) at his request I provide these pics of the repair of the multifunction stalk for MJ and XJ columns that have cruise and interval wipers. Once you know how it's done it really is easy - it just requires a certain amount of force in a specific area to seperate the parts. The removal of the stalk from the column is a straightforward process - you remove the steering wheel, horn assembly and lock plate (requires a wheel puller and lock plate compresser) then just grasp the stalk and firmly pull outwards until it releases, disconnect the plug on the wire end, and then gently tug the wire up through the column until it comes free.

First, the victims. I had a spare stalk that I worked with first just in case I had a really epic failure. Most of these stalks have a black wire that runs the length of the shaft and exits through a small hole, this sacrificial stalk had the wire clipped off.

As you can see, there is a small button in the end of the stalk. Take a knife (or other thin object) and carefully pry it outwards until it comes free.

Under the button is a star-shaped washer (on table below my hand in this picture), which also needs removal, the knife or a pair of needlenose pliers works well.

Now, to free up the sliding button assembly use a sharp knife and carefully pry outwards on the thin seam between the cone covering the switch assembly and the main plastic body of the stalk. the seam is located on the outboard side of the stalk just past the grooves that are cut into the plastic. It is glued on, but with careful, gradual force with the knife it will pop free.

You can then gently pull the switch assembly free of the body for replacement or repairs. In this case, the switch has a little section of the wire attached. All the parts are shown below:

Now, for my real stalk. In the picture you can see the long wire that exits the silver part of the stalk. I had to remove the switch as the wires had been skinned inside the handle and were shorting.

A close up of where the wires exit the stalk. Once you have the end cone free it becomes a two-handed process - feeding the wire inwards from the end, and gently pulling outwards on the switch.

An end shot showing the wire going into the shaft.

The switch assembly. I simply de-soldered the wire and trimmed it until I was past the skinned spot as a new heatshrink cover would not fit down into the shaft.

After it became known how to take it apart, the whole process (including soldering) took about 30 minutes. It is necessary to re-glue the cone back on the handle, I used some polystrene (plastic model) glue to do so with just the smallest dab on the mating surfaces, then taped it until dry.

Hope this helps!