more questions: CCV system and TPS

Got about 750 miles on my rebuilt 2.5 now, and it's running pretty well (except the TPS problem). It's been using some oil since I first started it (changed the oil after the initial startup and at 500mi), but it's not smoking and the plugs aren't oil-fouled. I called the builder and he was surprised to hear I don't have a PCV valve, and he asked me to test vacuum at the dipstick with the vehicle running (haven't done this yet). I've had 3 MJ's with the 2.5, two manual and one automatic (86, 87, and 87) and NONE of them have had a PCV valve. I have vacuum to the rear of the valve cover, and a hose to the air cleaner at the front. I used to get blowby before the rebuild, but not any more. And no leaks! Should I be worried about the rings? This guy is a good builder. Do I just need to give it more time?

On the TPS - I used to get the classical "dead spot" on the TPS, but this went away with cleaning the connectors one time. Since the rebuild I have an intermittent dead spot AND and intermittent BACKFIRE when I'm accelerating under a load (up a hill, etc). Is this typical for TPS failure? I have a buddy who has access to a MT2500 and we're going to replace the sensor one of these weekends. Just hope that's all there is to it.

Thanks!

Tom