my 87, intermediate stage

So, I'm sure this isn't going to be the last incarnation of my MJ, Eventually I think I'm going SOA with an 8.8

I came across a great deal on the lift kit used with shocks.

Same story with the axles, unfortunately it's still a d35, but for $300 front and rear axles with a detroit out back it seemed a good upgrade.

Axles are geared 3.73, again, not ideal, but better than my factory 3.07's.

Front axle is from a 97, so 297 sized u-joints. Rear is a non-c clip D35 with a full carrier detroit.

New brakes all the way round.

I learned to do gear setup myself with the help of a friend. :banana:

So now it's 3" and geared 3.73 with 31's. Next on my list are some proper MT tires, I've already got a set of 5 steel stockers, so I will have street tires and trail tires, it's still my DD.

Pics:

Before:

poser.JPG

Old and busted front axle. Skyjacker lift had new LCA's, those had to be cut out as the bolts were seized in the bushings.

oldfront.JPG

old rear axle, nothing to see here.

oldrear.JPG

Wicked wheel well gap, it's settled a bit since then. Leaf pack was too tight to flex very well. The shiny new bolt is actually a new stud for the upper shock mount. The impact gun broke off the orginal. Midwest locktite got to it.

rearlift.JPG

And here's what it looks like right now:

DSCF0527.JPG

like I said, new tires and I'll be set. JKS discos are installed up front, so I'm going to try and get out to test flex and see where to set my bumpstops.

I put YJ brake lines up front, and an extended truck brakehose out rear. Don't ask me what it's from, the parts guy matched up the fittings and handed it to me. it's about 3" longer, so it's a good fit.[/img]

its looks great.

I'm hoping to get some pictures of my starter project up on this website so you guys can all see the hell I'm setting myself up for lol. Hopefuly the body on mine turns out as nice as yours appears to be. Still all origional?? I will be putting in new quarters, rockers, probably fenders, and floorpans.

Possibly put in a 383 out of a road runner??? who knows..

anywho looks awesome. tell me how it handles offroad when you take it

its looks great.

I'm hoping to get some pictures of my starter project up on this website so you guys can all see the hell I'm setting myself up for lol. Hopefuly the body on mine turns out as nice as yours appears to be. Still all origional?? I will be putting in new quarters, rockers, probably fenders, and floorpans.

Possibly put in a 383 out of a road runner??? who knows..

anywho looks awesome. tell me how it handles offroad when you take it

It's had body work done above the wheel wells on the bed sides.

it's been repainted. I hope to fix what little surface rust I have and then put it back to black, like what it came from the factory with.

Black Comanches are tough.

Nothing wrong with that axle setup, it should serve you fine for how your truck is setup.

I've gotta swap axles in the next few days, 3.55 to 4.10, disco to non-disco 30, and 8.25 to 8.8.

I kept the d35 because I don't plan on going over 31" tires anytime soon. As this is still a DD I wasn't going to lift it 6" and then have to sort out the steering and everything else that comes at that height.

Once I find something else to drive it will get an 8.8 and SOA with 6" coils to match up front. Hopefully by that time I can go with some sort of high steer, maybe with WJ knuckles.

I do like the 3.73's on the road though, My mileage has improved, I've gotten 25 MPG on the highway, and that was cruising at an indicated 75. I've not yet corrected my speedometer, so that's probably about 67-70. RPms at that speed are a touch over 2K.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

SO, been a busy weekend.

GOt trackbar installed, RE1600:

Got coil spacers installed, added an inch, so it's a 4":

Leveled it out nicely, not that it's on a slight incline to the rear:

And I finally got the new bumper installed.

the 34's are trail use only, that picture is with my 31" road tires.

I'll be going on a trailride soon, so I can snap a pic with the 34's.

Here's what they look like flexed, when I had 4" in the rear and 3" up front.

I drag the bumper, and I've damaged the passenger side lower quarter twice.

It wouldn't be bad if I cut the lower half of the bed.

WHen I build the new bed I'm cutting the frame back 4 inches, and mounting the bumper flush with it, that will vastly improve my departure angle.

The bumper is stupid strong, so when I drop it on rocks I don't care, the bottom of it has several deep gouges in it.

That's not to say I slam it on every line, sometimes it's just gonna happen, but I try to pick lines that are friendly to my wheelbase. If you learn to drive it for what it is it really does excel in the rocks and the steep hills.