j-10 questions

I know this isn't the right site for j10s but I figure you've been so helpful with my 4x4 conversion maybe you can help with this. My cousin has found a 1979 j10 he wants to buy and wants me to look at it with him. My uncle and grandfather have owned 4 so I'm somewhat familiar. It's a 360 TH400 with quadratrac and spring over. What do I need to check on the springover to make sure it was done right and will be safe? Any other problems to watch for on j10s? Also I've heard the quadratracs aren't as reliable, but we can salvage a good d20 from my uncles rusted out hulk. It's a 1980 will it bolt right in? Thanks for any help you can give.

Brian

I did the soa on my 86 J20. I swapped in a dana 60 front at the same time and did a shackle flip on my rear dana 60. It’s a pretty simple mod.

If it had spring perches welded on properly you should have no problems. What I would look at is the steering mods. Did they put a high steer arm on the pass side for the drag link? Does it have a drop pitman arm? If it doesn’t use those kinds of mods then you prolly are going to have some bad bump steer. The flex brake lines should be dropped or extended so they don’t break, too.

What about the rear? You got around 6” of lift from the front soa so what was done to the rear. Blocks or shackle flip? If you have blocks then you may want to do a shackle flip. A guy on ifsja makes the kit for that or you can fab your own.

The ’79 J10 is a pass side drop transfer case. In ’80 they went to driver’s drop. I think the only thing you can swap on a th400 quadratrac is another quadratrac because of a really long output shaft or swap out the th400 with the one that came with the d20. Any other way and the spline count will be wrong.

You can get a lot of info at ifsja on this. The quadrapuke has the viscous coupler that’s prolly already worn out and the cones are getting tough to get. Most people get the part time kit and eliminate the viscous coupler. I’m just glad I don’t have one, I have the 727/NP208.tipshades.gif