Jump to content

taddraughn

Members
  • Posts

    35
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by taddraughn

  1. Okay so did manage to pull the pan today. Ended up just about disconnecting the front axle to get it to clear. Also used a little jack to move the axle down a bit more for clearance. Looks like someone halfheartedly cleaned the pan at some point. The bottom is super sludgy though Hard to tell in this photo, but I noticed that the rods are stamped 1-6 on the rod and cap. do they come like that from factory or does that mean someone has been there before? Got a look at the portions of the cylinder walls I could see and don't see any visible cross hatching, but do see some vertical scoring. I also pulled the plugs and see #6 was not firing at all; plug looked brand new. So I think at this point I'll just pull it for a rebuild.
  2. I'm just North of 42 off of Cornwallis, so not far at all! Looks like you've been doing excellent work on yours, I need to swing by sometime and see what they're supposed to look like! lol. Back from vacation and starting to peel back the layers on this thing. I'm not sure I will be able to resist the urge to tear it all the way down but we'll see lol. It's clear the work done previously was mostly hack jobs. Think I'll pull the pan today and maybe check how the bearings look/feel. The entire underside is so covered in oil. Not sure if the RMS is to blame or the VC but doesn't hurt to replace it and gives me a chance to check things out. Tempted just to pull the head off too with the POs description of the car being driven overheated at one point before it was parked and given how cheap they are. That will really give me a chance to check things out.
  3. Thanks for the heads up! Good to know ahead of time it might need a little massaging to work.
  4. Oh interesting. I can understand using the same harness but just leaving a connector unsealed seems like a weird choice. Maybe it only melted due to proximity to exhaust if it wasn't used for anything. I'll probably swap to the new style header or get one of the banks ones. I can just weld in the EGR bung to keep that or maybe just delete the EGR altogether. Yeah not knowing the history of the truck I'm not sure if the exhaust is still leaking or if the soot was before the welds the noise was something else? In any case I will replace the manifold and see if the noise persists. If it does I'll just yank the engine and go through it.
  5. Couldn't resist tearing into it a little before heading out for my vacation... With the valve cover off it really doesn't look too bad. One thing i did notice is that the bolts came out really easy and some seemed quite loose.. Pulled off the intake and exhaust manifolds. Clearly some kind of leak was or is happening near the rear of the engine. and some of the worst welds I think I've maybe ever seen... Looks like someone snaked a mig torch in with everything assembled and just hoped for the best LOL Also noticed this connector that wasn't hooked up to anything is severely melted.. Not sure what it is supposed to be for. Have a feeling I'll be remediating quite a bit of wiring on this project :)
  6. Just saw underneath your post numbers it has your location listed as Clayton! I'm in south Garner and only around 12 minutes from downtown Clayton.
  7. Thanks for the suggestions! I'll start with pulling the valve cover and taking a look and maybe try the liqui moly stuff and see if that frees things up. I posted in the 89 sub-forum yesterday to get mine added to the registry! Interested to see where it was originally sold
  8. 1J7FJ36L4KL427741 1989 Comanche Pioneer Deep Vivid Red Metallic Paint 4.0L w/ 5 Speed Manual Currently located in Garner, NC Seems to have been parked since 2018 or so and think the owner had it since 2012 according to the title.
  9. It seems to be very original and just one little rust hole in the passenger floorboard that I missed in my initial check because it was behind the foam piece that comes down the firewall. Water either ran into that corner or was held there by the foam but shouldn't be a big deal to weld up just one little spot. Everywhere else was surprisingly solid so not much welding to do. I'll pull the manifolds and have a look at them. Would be great if it's an exhaust leak or lifter as that means I'll get to drive it a bit before an engine rebuild. But fine by me if I do need to rebuild the engine. Parts seem so cheap for these things but my basis is my last two project (Lancia and Audi parts are expensive ) Thanks! The Lancia is a ton of fun and very happy to have it back on the road now. I restored it back in 2018. It was super rusty and required a lot of metal work. Back then I didn't mess with the engine other than having the head re-done. Eventually lost a cylinder and I told myself the new engine i built for it would not be carb'd. Took forever but very unique set up on a car that's already somewhat rare stateside. Registry a guy keeps has around 400 or so in the US so it always gets lots of attention because no one knows what it is lol.
  10. Hi Guys, Picked this '89 Comanche Pioneer up about a week ago. Been sitting in the same spot in my neighborhood since I moved in 4 years ago. And as my new daily is an ND miata and my long term Lancia Fulvia project is coming to a close, it felt right to get something interesting with a little practicality to tinker on. Since it didn't run a friend helped me get it to the parking pad I have in my cul-de-sac. Quickly realized it didn't have spark or fuel. Spark was the ignition coil but I also threw a new cap and rotor at it for good measure. That solved the spark issue. Then I pulled the fuel pump... lol no wonder i didn't have fuel. So I yanked the whole tank and ordered some new stuff. This morning I rigged up a cheapo fuel pump inside a 1 gallon can to see what it would do and voila. Cranked right up. This allowed me to drive it into the garage where I can actually start to work on it. Looks nice next to the little Fulvia! The engine sounds pretty bad though.. not sure if it's a stuck lifter or something worse. Here's a YT link if anyone wants to listen and tell me! Maybe piston slap? maybe lifter? idk.. I drained the oil and will pull the pan to check things out. But headed on vacation in a couple days so it'll probably have to wait a few weeks. Bonus picture of the Fulvia project I'm finishing if anyone is interested.. I made a custom EFI system for this car over the last 4 years and it has been a long journey but finally close to done. Runs on a Haltech Nexus R3, has a cam sensor where the distributor was, so fully sequential injection and ignition with VR38 GTR coils, Pico injectors in some 3D printed aluminum runners, Carbon plenum I made, CWA400 water pump, etc etc.. Basically all custom but it was a really fun project. Wiring the car from scratch so that's a WIP but here's a pic as it currently is Looking forward to learning from you guys and getting this thing back on the road!
×
×
  • Create New...