86 with newer hood

Has anybody put a newer style hood with latches and everything on their 86?

I can modify the top radiator support from a newer style to fit the 86 inner fender frame/support. And after some measuring, I mounted the body side catches/striker on the fender support too...

Just gotta put on a hood that has all the newer guts on it and see.

Just curious if anybody else has done this...

When Bo swapped radiators for the 5.2 swap he was afraid the center catch on the hood might hit the top of the radiator when closed, and it might, but from some tests and what I see, it should clear. This isnt a huge deal if it doesnt work.

Gotta get Black Betty running first lol eb30eaea1202e2ad56f187172b5a0d1a.jpg920f7b6106316dd7cc2ab2230b7a415d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Well I got the new style top support fitted. Fits well actually! With this different radiator in there I had to clear the cap. And Bo had used the stock cross support and some rubber bushings to hold the top or the radiator in place. So the new style support fits right over the stock one and holds it all together

You can kinda see in the one pic that the inside face of the hood catch/spring doesnt quite touch the front support. I'll have to make a spacer for that. I'll have to drill a hole in the front support anyways to catch that bolt hole anyways.

So right now I'm needing the full hood release cable to run inside the cab. I guess I don't hsve one laying around.

But so far, I think this swap will work. And its been pretty easy. e0052422681e73a649355838dccf50d8.jpgb30230ddf7945528f75581d5ae6d3900.jpg5567a228442b7f69ad21f52373f4b100.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk