Found fender flare hardware, inner fenders

Decided to pull my fender flares and repaint them finally, thought I'd let you guys know where I found parts....

-fender flare mounting hardware kit:   carparts.com, item #55003232k; (in case it doesnt show up in the search), $64.95

- replacement wheelhouses (inner fenders, fender liners...whatever you call them, they call them wheelhouses), discountbodyparts.com, part # SET-J220501; both driver and passenger front, $28.64

I know I saw a thread somewhere on here about it, but couldn't track it down...

Anywho, figured I'd share... 

What search did you find the mounting hardware under? If it was for a Cherokee the rear flares are different so they may not work. I'd like to know once you get them if they will work on the rears, I could use them for sure. 

On 5/5/2018 at 6:35 PM, WahooSteeler said:

What search did you find the mounting hardware under? If it was for a Cherokee the rear flares are different so they may not work. I'd like to know once you get them if they will work on the rears, I could use them for sure. 

They were supposed to be direct fit for the Comanche, but they must be for the Cherokee because they don't line up....

I've seen a lot of people talk about drilling holes to make these work... why not just cut the hardware bracket itself?  As long as you leave more than an inch on either side it won't spin on you, and you can use the original holes with no drilling...

Jenk, what did you end up doing with the rear retainers? Did you make them work somehow?

You would think the top center retainer would be the same for both vehicles, or that even the front flare retainers would be interchangeable but obviously logic was not Jeep/AMC's strong point in the 80s. 

Ok, so here's the follow up (finally got the last of my pieces parts in the mail yesterday):

So the wheel houses (inner fenders) were supposed to be specifically for the Comanche, they of course, weren't.  But the Cherokee ones they sent line up with all of the fender hardware bolts, and all but a couple of the plastic retainer holes.  

As far as the fender flare mounting hardware goes, the fronts went on without issue.  For the rears, I decided to try what I mentioned above.  As each piece is too long, I cut about 1 1/2" from between each bolt, then mounted each piece individually without having to drill new holes.  Seems fine, fender flares have no play in them.  Actually, the cut pieces installed really easy.

Here's the bad part:  the "fender flare hardware kit" was missing 6 of the nuts for the mounting bolts, and 2 of the screws for attaching the bottom of the fender flares to the body. 

Moral of the story, this process works and you don't have to drill any new holes....  Just make sure you keep your old nuts and screws just in case.

20180510_172925.jpg

20180510_172948.jpg

Message_1525991530300.jpg

20180510_172906.jpg

Thanks for the follow up. Nice to know there is an easier solution out there than drilling out the old rusted studs on the original retainers. Did you have to cut all 3 of the flair retainers or just the top center one? Did you happen to take any pics of them after you cut them? 

Painted flares look good too. Getting ready to do the same to mine. Any tips? What did you do to prep them and what paint did you use? 

Thanks!

I did not take pics... Thought about it after I was halfway done....

I cut all three, as they all end up too long to fit properly.  Basically each stud ends up being its own individual piece.

As far as painting them goes, I prepped them by sanding with first 150, then 220 grit sandpaper.  I used Rustoleum Bed Liner spray paint in three coats, hitting them lightly with the 220 grit again in between coats to remove drips/runs.  

Its a slow process, but if you're CDO like me (its like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order)...

Took me about 3 evenings to paint, I stalled them on the 4th.