1986 Cummins Mj 4Wd

I took some photo's but they would not load into photo bucket. So I will try and explain without photo's. 

Today I cut out the firewall as needed. I'm still having some clearance issues with the SM465. It fits in the tunnel but on the passengers side is the location of the fork and slave cylinder for the clutch. There is not enough room to use the current setup. In other words I am not able to use the fork and slave cylinder. The transmission still needs to be lifted another 5 inches and that places the fork and slave cylinder in an area that would need to be widened another 7 t0 8 inches leaving not much room for the passengers feet. Unless someone has another way of doing it and has photo's to show what things look like. I have thought about trying to adapt or convert the SM465 to an internal slave cylinder. I know there are some kits but I don't feel like paying more money for something I know can be done in my own garage. 

I am open for idea's. Anyone??

Update::

Today I was able to do some work on the project. I pulled the engine mounts off the engine as well as a few other things getting in the way. I bolted the SM465 with the GM1 bell housing to the engine so I could stage everything and take some measurements. Here is what she looks like in the truck.

And here is it in the trucks cabin with the transmission shifter in place. 

The crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer sits about ten inches from the radiator mounts from beam as noted here.

Tomorrow I hope to design and weld up the new motor mounts and the transmission support bracket. If I have room I might also incorporate another support bracket at the bottom of the bell housing. 

Here is my drivers side test engine bracket and mount. I used motor mounts from an early model CJ as they were only 5 bucks each.

I still have some more work to do on it but for now this is what it looks like. I am going to work on the passengers side today and then make any needed adjustments.

We will see it they can endure a little road time after everything is installed. I still need to make the transmission cross member and add mounts to both sides of the bell housing. 

I now have the passengers side motor brackets and mount fab'd up but won't finish it until I have the transmission support bracket fab'd so I can properly align the engine and transmission.  It's all coming along nicely. 

The Engine is IN!!!!!

Ok so everything is still being fab'd but the two motor mounts are welded up and bolted into the MJ. It all still looks like chopped arse and I am still in the process of cleaning things up. I think it turned out pretty good. The engine fits under the hood rather well with a good amount of room left. I put the hood on just long enough to see what it looked like and how much room I have left. Here is what it looks like with the hood on.

And a poor photo of how it looks underneath the hood. 

Here is a shot with the engine sitting on both motor mounts with the drivers 1st and the passengers side 2nd. They still look ruff but after I clean them up it should all not be so much of an eye sore. 

You can see where I drilled holes into the tops of the mounts. Those are welded on but I will be putting a bolt, washers, and nuts through them both to give better strength.

Here we have the GMC hydroboost I will be installing. Test fit. 

Next I will need to buy another SM465 with NP205 mated to it as I am having issues finding the correct NP205 (six bolt with 32spline) in my area. I did find one but I'm not paying 450 bucks for a used oily t-case when there are plenty other NP205's for a 1/4 of that price. 

Monday I pick up my most recent SM465/NP205 purchase and install in into the MJ. Then fab up the cross member and bell housing motor mount brackets. After that I will need to put together a rear driveshaft so I can test drive the truck and work out any bugs. 

Before doing that I fist need to finish the engine install and the hydroboost brakes as well as a few other things. But the engine is finally in.