Dome Lights Don't Switch On...

Hey there fellow MJ-ers,

I've got a '92 Manche. Awesome. Someone broke or took out the switch or wires that power the door jam-to-dome light switch.

I got the dome lights powered on (turn on when touched), WHAT WIRE SWITCHES them on when the doors are open??

I've got a pretty stock MJ.

Also, what other light are supposed to turn on when the doors open?

I HAVE replaced both door jam switched with new ones, but they don't seem to do much.

Pictures or detailed description would be awesome....wiring diagram location?

Thanks!

nick :MJ 1:

The "switch" is the plunger in the door jamb.

Courtesy lights in the foot well should come on, and if the upper lights are in the correct position and working, they'll come on too. There are 3 positions for the switch INSIDE the light fixture itself. Tilted up, flat and tilted down...I don't remember which is which as i now have after market lights.

I've worked on a couple truck and an old Volvo with this type of light fixture. Usually the contact inside the lights are the culprit when the upper lights don't work. Pull the whole fixture out, pull the bulb, look on the ends where the bulb fits in, the roller contacts are almost always dirty or corroded. If you clean those off and make sure the roller is making contact as it rolls back and forth, it should fix the problem. I used a small soft wire brass brush and contact cleaner.