88 MJ 5-spd slave cylinder

Hello everyone,

This is Josiah, using my Dad's account (with his permission, of course!).

I'm just getting in to doing some needed repairs on my '88 MJ - hopefully I'll have it ready when I'm old enough to drive :-)

Does anybody have a link for a site or a pdf file with good instructions on how to replace the slave cylinder on a Peugot 5 speed transmission? Mine is very leaky...

Josiah

Hello everyone,

This is Josiah, using my Dad's account (with his permission, of course!).

I'm just getting in to doing some needed repairs on my '88 MJ - hopefully I'll have it ready when I'm old enough to drive :-)

Does anybody have a link for a site or a pdf file with good instructions on how to replace the slave cylinder on a Peugot 5 speed transmission? Mine is very leaky...

Josiah

Hello, I'm about to do mine tomorrow actually!

Check out my build thread tomorrow night for details and pics. I try and answer any questions you may have.

I know some people frown upon posting this for free, but I got this manual handed down to me, and so I'm doing the same.

here's Chilton's how-to:

I just did mine this weekend completely by myself. Its not too bad, with help, you could do it in 2 hours or less. A couple notes, if you split the transfer case from the trans, drain the oil from both. Also there is no need to drop the exhaust but it would make it a lot easier. Its a good idea to clean your cps and replace your rear main if needed. The two top bolts are star bolts, but the rest of the work can be accomplished by basic sockets and wrenches.

Specifically, you will need about a foot and a half of socket extensions, an E12 reverse torx socket. Or spline socket or star socket as some call it. Two floor jacks if you don't have a tranny jack. I don't recomend taking the transfercase off the trans, there is no need. pain in the @$$ when still attached to the jeep anyways. Get a new hydraulic line from the master cylinder to the slave. 20+year old rubber sucks.

Oh and oven cleaner is much cheaper and more effective than brake cleaner when cleaning up the trans. Nows the time to do rear main seal on the engine as well like mentioned above. Get some rubber gloves. If the slave leaked. Its gonna be messy.

Ps. I am sorry my build thread is not updated yet.. I got to work a 12hr day today :ack: