Energy Suspension motor mounts

I installed the Energy Suspension motor mounts on my 1991 Comanche Eliminator this weekend. Unfortunately I didn't take the time to take a lot of pictures, but there are several good writeups on changing motor mounts. I found this one helpful:

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Engine/motor_mounts.htm

My mounts likely had never been changed. Here's what the driver's side mount looked like:

The passenger side mount was cracked and torn about 1/2 way through, also.

Here is the old mount next to the ES mount.

The polyurethane motor mounts are substantially heavier and larger than the stock ones. I chose the black mounts because ES says that they are graphite-impregnated and should be somewhat self-lubricating as a result. They are obviously stiffer. While they appear to be a well-made, quality product, installation was a bit difficult. The ES mounts require you to re-use the metal pieces from the stock mounts. The triangular shaped piece is easy enough, but the metal bottom plate has to be cut from the old mount (I used a hacksaw). You then have to grind the old rubber material off. Even then, the mounts are larger than the stock ones, so the triangle doesn't completely close until you force the pieces together. That took some doing. I eventually used a large C-clamp to pull it together enough to get the bolts started and torque it down.

Here is a link to ES's pdf for installing these mounts:

http://www.energysuspension.com/assets/files/pdf/17325.PDF

Their diagrams help explain this a bit better.

Note that the metal sleeve that runs through the mount is made a bit oversize. I had to grind both of the sleeves down a bit to fit my mounts carefully.

I changed the trans mount while I did these motor mounts. I can definitely tell a difference under acceleration. All in all a very good quality product. Not a simple install, though.

• 1 month later...

I had such great customer service from Energy Suspension that I thought it was worth a follow up post.

The motor mounts that I installed have broken in nicely and I'm very pleased with them.

I had ordered the wrong trans mount, though, and opened the packaging that it came in before I checked my mount. I was going to call them to see about a return when I received an email from someone there asking how it went. I exchanged a couple of emails with their service representative. She was prompt and very polite. They took the mount back no questions asked and with no re-stocking fees.

It is really refreshing to deal with real, live people who care about their products and customers. They are a great company to deal with!