Fuel Guage Calibration - Low Fuel Warning

First off, the gauge works. Most folks would say "Good enough, don't mess with it!"

However, the low fuel warning light comes on way too soon, i.e., at 1/4 tank. Have 18.5 gal

tank, so that's just under 5 gal. FSM says light should come on at 2 gal.

The gauge says full when full, and empty when empty, so the response seems in order.

FSM for mine says full = 5 ohms, half = 33 ohms, and empty = 105 ohms. Also says

low light should come on at 66.5 ohms (via a module on the back of the cluster).

Clearly not a linear response.

I noticed at the JY that the variable resistor on the sending unit has provisions for

adjustment, but this would only change the output as a function of fluid level and

would affect the overall guage position.

I know I should (and will) measure resistance at the various fluid levels, but am puzzled

how I would adjust the LFW only. Don't recall seeing any adjustment on the module,

and FSM is silent.

First off, the gauge works. Most folks would say "Good enough, don't mess with it!"

However, the low fuel warning light comes on way too soon, i.e., at 1/4 tank. Have 18.5 gal

tank, so that's just under 5 gal. FSM says light should come on at 2 gal.

The gauge says full when full, and empty when empty, so the response seems in order.

FSM for mine says full = 5 ohms, half = 33 ohms, and empty = 105 ohms. Also says

low light should come on at 66.5 ohms (via a module on the back of the cluster).

Clearly not a linear response.

I noticed at the JY that the variable resistor on the sending unit has provisions for

adjustment, but this would only change the output as a function of fluid level and

would affect the overall guage position.

I know I should (and will) measure resistance at the various fluid levels, but am puzzled

how I would adjust the LFW only. Don't recall seeing any adjustment on the module,

and FSM is silent.

I asked this very question not too far back, and there was a suggestion that you could simply fit a resistor into the LFW circuit. Determine what the resistance is at 2 gallons, and add as necessary to "trick" the gauge module. That's the theory anyway. I just decided to live with it.