Cam Sprocket Timing ISSUES!!!??? HUHHHHHH???/

Hey fellow comancheros, I'm still workin on my 86 2.5L Comanche. I got it apart and noticed the sprocket is off by 90 degrees. Huh? Exactly.

The timing mark (when rotor is at TDC compression stroke), is off by 90 degrees from where the machined sprocket mark is. If I were to line up the sprocket as illustrated in the manual and the nice illustrations on this site, the rotor would be off.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but when installing the crank sprocket, should the little dots line up if the rotor is at TDC?

If I put my rotor on the 1 plug, and the time mark is at 0, then isn't it in time, reguardless of where the marks on the sprockets are?

When you say rotor you are meaning the distributor, it won't work anyway if the valves aren't in time ( marks on crank and cam sprockets have to be lined up). Get that right first then get the motor at TDC before you think about where the rotor is pointing

Ok, so when installing a chain, don't worry about the rotor, just line up the sprocket markings, then see if the rotor is at 1 when the HB is at o?

That makes some sense.

I've never changed one on a chain vehicle. I'll try it.

Thanks man. :cheers:

Umm, this isn't Pete :brows: First and foremost if the valves aren't in time (marks lining up together) the rest of it is a waste of time (no pun intended ;) ) After the valves are in time with the crank then bring #1 up to TDC and set the distributor and rotor from there. jamminz.gif to get the ignition in time.

Thanks Wooky. It all makes sense now. Sorry about the mistake in identity. I appreciate your input. I think she will be up and runnin soon now. I got the concept now, your explanation was well taken.

None the less.....like that pic man. :cheers:

No prob on the ID. You didn't say whether you had a carb or TBI (fuel injection), I can't remember the year that they changed over. With TBI you won't need a timing light as the computer does all that, you just have to get the right cog on the distributor lined up, it'll either run good or like crap (if at all).