'91 Comanche LB project

I'm a little confused. do you have perches on the top and bottom of your rear axle?

Yes I do, the previous owner (Twisty) had been using them as SOA. I don't plan on ever doing it and I'm using the stock SUA setup. I'm actually thinking of removing the upper perches since I'll never switch to SOA; I'm occasionally getting a clunk from the rear and I think it's the springs shifting around because the welds from the perches aren't letting the ubolts sit nice and tight against the perches. Not really sure but I'm not sure what else could be causing that noise :dunno:

• 1 month later...

I finished up my brake upgrade, details and pics here.

Complete Brake Overhaul

i-jjX3hgz-M.jpg

I also did a lot of miscellaneous stuff while I was at it which is why the whole ordeal took so long. The front floors were done this summer and rust proofed, and I did some of the same for the rear. When I bought the truck, I knew the body needed some work but overall the frame was in great shape, and I want to keep it that way.

I ended up getting a kit from Wilwood. 3 stages, rust converter, rust encapsulator, and chassis paint. It seems to have worked pretty well. I'd recommend brushing on the converter for better coverage, or a paint gun if you have it. I used a squirt bottle and it was hard to get even coverage.

Not fully done yet but I got the worst areas.

i-wxsMdkc-M.jpg

The last piece in my pursuit to solve death wobble was the steering link. For some reason when I did the rest of the front suspension I overlooked this. I got a used Chromoly link and new Moog ends.

i-jLQZNrP-M.jpg

Size comparison. The weight difference was substantial as well.

i-5Vw5pKV-M.jpg

i-ZvsgZdG-M.jpg

i-Jt6XGBc-M.jpg

After an alignment, the truck drives great. I still get a high speed vibe over 65mph or so, some blurring in the rear view mirror, but I think that's just my crappy tires. I've had the truck off the ground and running in gear, and the tires are pretty obviously not even all the way through the rotation. I haven't had any signs of death wobble since replacing the steering link, but I don't think I'll ever be certain it isn't lurking around the corner.

With the heavy duty suspension and steering components, and upgraded brakes, it handles and stops great. (I also added a steering box brace but don't have a pic yet.) With the floor repaired, using the t-case shifter is actually quite nice. I bought a new front driveshaft from RockAuto last winter, and installed it last weekend to get ready for winter. It added a huge vibration on the highway so I took it out to discover there was a lot of play. Called rockauto and they said it was under warranty, so I got a new one in the mail this week. It looks like an upgraded design, with a boot covering the sliding shaft part. It's rock solid so I'll be putting that in today.

Next up is replacing the bedside panels. I bought replacements from zmjeeps but haven't had them shipped yet. I hope to get that done before the snow really flies. Here's a somewhat recent picture of how bad the wheelwells are getting.

i-fmDLSzM-L.jpg

i-VdjdkzB-L.jpg

We also had a ton of rain the other day and I finally discovered that I was getting water leaking through the windshield. That explains why the driver floor was so bad, and a lot of the stains on the seat and carpet. And why there was no headliner left, since it was coming through there.

I put the driveshaft in and took a few pictures along the way.

Old and new. I think I like how the sliding section is covered, but there is no way to grease it.

i-StFBRGc-L.jpg

i-v6W36PG-L.jpg

It does have a grease fitting at the centering yoke, which the old one did not.

i-chrHZVQ-L.jpg

Some casting numbers. Everything appears to be Spicer components.

i-ns5pJDw-L.jpg

i-7sCq4LX-L.jpg

i-GZjKr3S-L.jpg

i-g9ptNgp-L.jpg

i-89FVV2r-L.jpg

i-fVC4sWp-L.jpg

Here it is installed and greased up. Ugggh. Grease makes such a mess.

i-mGRpWTC-L.jpg

i-qFfWgMq-L.jpg

I also needed to fix my leaking D44. After replacing the axle seals which were leaking, and then the cover that was leaking, I got around to replacing the pinion seal that was leaking. I got a new yoke while I was at it to avoid trashing the new seal, and "upgraded" to the u-bolt style. I don't know why it's better, but at least it was more expensive! It's nice to not leave a mess behind when I park again.

i-nrDSgNV-L.jpg

While I was under there, some shots of my repaired floor.

i-wgc3h6m-L.jpg

i-vLrtmqn-L.jpg

i-JHfkLZ5-L.jpg

Here is the ChroMo steering link. The gorillas at firestone love to use those damn teeth vice grips instead of the nice slot for the wrench. :fs1:

i-vDGcgwg-L.jpg

Steering box support.

i-Q8SLTGM-L.jpg

And here it is all dressed up for Christmas!

i-ndpzb8m-L.jpg

I also needed to fix my leaking D44. After replacing the axle seals which were leaking, and then the cover that was leaking, I got around to replacing the pinion seal that was leaking. I got a new yoke while I was at it to avoid trashing the new seal, and "upgraded" to the u-bolt style. I don't know why it's better, but at least it was more expensive! It's nice to not leave a mess behind when I park again.

i-nrDSgNV-M.jpg

Oh crap. I just looked at this photo full sized instead of the thumbnails I use while uploading, and it IS leaking. I mush not have gotten the seal on 100% straight when installing. D'oh! It never ends...

• 5 months later...

Got a package today :D Were on backorder so these are fresh from the factory.

i-DrcGfBV-L.jpg

Personally signed even!

i-SnGH2zF-L.jpg

Nice welds. Paint's a little thin looking though in some spots.

i-zTb5VdP-L.jpg

Should be a nice pairing to my HD crossmember I had to swap in to replace my swiss cheese stocker.

i-Qs93b7D-L.jpg

Man, I should keep this thread up to date...