• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/14/2018 at 11:13 PM, yellaheep said:

Interesting....... Durango with a 330 hp Liberty CRD swap....

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/2000-dodge-durango-crd-diesel/6530558647.html

00404_hUB4EVAIp4l_600x450.jpg

It's actually 330ft-lbs of torque, not HP.  When I saw your post and read that I was genuinely surprised since that motor only has about 160HP from the factory.  It's pretty easy to squeeze more torque out of a diesel, but to double the HP usually requires a bunch of supporting modifications.

Also baffled by the decision to use a Durango for the swap, but to each his own.  With the amount of time, labor and materials invested into this vehicle his asking price of $5,500 isn't all that bad.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

So I'm finally getting to the bumper part of this project. Got it bent, tacked, test fitted, and now onto the welding, have a friend over to help with the welding since my welder/me suck and I want it to be presentable.

IR_1381.jpg

IR_1383.jpg

IR_1385.jpg

IR_1387.jpg

IR_1389.jpg

IR_1391.jpg

IR_1393.jpg

IR_1395.jpg

IR_1397.jpg

IR_1399.jpg

IR_1401.jpg

IR_1409.jpg

IR_1411.jpg

IR_1413.jpg

IR_1415.jpg

IR_1417.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Just wanted to check in to see if there were any updates on this build. I'm very interested in picking your brain as i just bought a wrecked running 05 Libberty CRD and have an 88 mj shell with all of the 98 xj swap parts. I am no stranger to the 97+ mj swap as i have built a few of them but I'm more interested in the wiring aspect of making it all work. 

• 2 months later...

Hello Sir Sam
I would like to thank you for the inspiration. The 2.8CRD conversion in my Comanche is now running for 50,000 km. 
I was already 3 times in Morocco, Spain, France the whole Balkan and large parts of Europe on the way.
Greetings MJ70 from Germany

And sorry for the bad English, have used a translation program.

20180303_153618.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

20180307_113311.jpg

1 minute ago, MJ70 said:

Hello Sir Sam
I would like to thank you for the inspiration. The 2.8CRD conversion in my Comanche is now running for 50,000 km. 
I was already 3 times in Morocco, Spain, France the whole Balkan and large parts of Europe on the way.

20180303_153618.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

20180307_113311.jpg

What bad English? You did better than some Americans.

14 minutes ago, MJ70 said:

Hello Sir Sam

IMG_1869.jpg

you should do a build thread for that awesome truck!  :bowdown:

5 hours ago, MJ70 said:

Hello Sir Sam

20180303_153618.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg

20180307_113311.jpg

Beautiful truck! You should do a build thread work some more pictures. :L:

• 5 months later...

Building a 4.6 stroker for the MJ to move the project along.

Starting with a 2000 XJ engine and trans combo, I pulled this thinking it was a good to run engine since the XJ it came from was fairly clean and low mileage, and the engine its self was fairly clean. Turns out it had been replaced before and thats why it was clean, but the bottom end was fairly scored/worn, particularly the rod bearings which even had galled a bit from wear. Internally the engine was fairly dirty. Piston walls were fairly glazed but also had some significant scoring on the walls from the pistons. I debated some refresh options but ultimately decided to go with a bottom end rebuild into a stroker. I had the machine shop bore/hone the cylinder walls to .030 over for the stroker, install new cam bearings, and clean the block up. ~$360. Later I gave up pressing the piston wrist pins into the new rods and paid them $50 to do it(better than me destroying anything).

IMG_4160.jpg
IMG_4161.jpg
IMG_4162.jpg

Cam lobe wear:
IMG_4184.jpg

Bearing scoring, this is one of the better ones:
IMG_4191.jpg
IMG_4193.jpg

I didnt get a picture of the worst of them unfortuneatly. 

Teardown continues:
IMG_4205.jpg

New Jeep 258 stroker crank arrives:
IMG_5093.jpg

New forged pistons:
IMG_5094.jpg
IMG_5095.jpg
IMG_5096.jpg

Box of parts:
IMG_5098.jpg

Block back from machine shop:
IMG_5116.jpg
IMG_5118.jpg
IMG_5119.jpg
IMG_5120.jpg

Pulled it into the sun to try and help it warm up before painting:
IMG_5123.jpg

Ended up putting a box over it with a small heater to get it good and warm overnight.
IMG_5124.jpg

Painted:
IMG_5126.jpg
IMG_5129.jpg
IMG_5131.jpg

Pressing in freeze plugs:
IMG_5135.jpg
IMG_5136.jpg

Started blasting all the aluminum stuff to make it pretty again:
IMG_5220.jpg
IMG_5227.jpg

Some RTV before oil pan goes on:
IMG_E5370.jpg
IMG_5373.jpg

Pan installed, missing a few bolts:
IMG_5376.jpg
IMG_5377.jpg

Getting more builtup:
IMG_5383.jpg
IMG_5385.jpg

Painted head:
IMG_5388.jpg

Ready for head:
IMG_5389.jpg
IMG_5391.jpg

Valve cover on:
IMG_5395.jpg
IMG_5396.jpg
IMG_5397.jpg

Cracked bellhousing from my AW4:

IMG_6317.jpg

So to get this project going I decided my dads garage would be a good place to work, since his garage is fukkin YUGE! So I spend quite a bit of time shoveling snow so we could move it, with the help of freerider we got it moved on Saturday.

IMG_6318.jpg
IMG_6319.jpg

And then into my Dads garage:
IMG_6320.jpg
IMG_6321.jpg

IMG_6322.jpg
IMG_6323.jpg
IMG_6324.jpg
IMG_6325.jpg
IMG_6326.jpg
IMG_6327.jpg
IMG_6328.jpg
IMG_6329.jpg

2 hours ago, A-man930 said:

Wait... I'm not seeing any word of what happened to the CRD?  Did it grenade like they all do?

Little harsh. 

No, I decided it was much quicker to stick with a 4L/AW4 if I wanted to get a running truck. The CRD swap has lots of electrical harness work, instead of spending lots of time on that, and then lots of time on all the other fabrication like intercooler piping, AC lines, etc etc. 

There is so much other stuff that needs to be done on this truck, that is independent of the engine type, that I have decided to first get it running as a "stock" setup. I can still do all the harness work I need to on a tabletop, like I was doing. But for now I'm going to push on ahead with the other work I need to get this thing running and use it.

11 hours ago, Sir Sam said:

Little harsh. 

No, I decided it was much quicker to stick with a 4L/AW4 if I wanted to get a running truck. The CRD swap has lots of electrical harness work, instead of spending lots of time on that, and then lots of time on all the other fabrication like intercooler piping, AC lines, etc etc. 

There is so much other stuff that needs to be done on this truck, that is independent of the engine type, that I have decided to first get it running as a "stock" setup. I can still do all the harness work I need to on a tabletop, like I was doing. But for now I'm going to push on ahead with the other work I need to get this thing running and use it.

Haha, that was genuine curiosity; I've heard of nothing but issues with them in the Libertys.  That said, I hope your experience is better!  It should be a fun rig either way.  

In the meantime that stroker should fit the bill quite nicely.  :L: